1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Disagree. That's where she scored.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Understood. She did go after him more than I expected but can't blame her. I happen to agree. Thought it was pretty balanced overall.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

She did. But I also thought she seemed slightly more personable. Chelsea helped a lot.

Lugnuts likes this.
  4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I never realized she was as short as she is, and you don't notice it until others are standing next to her. Tonight, with that white suit on and the much taller Bill standing next to her and her looking up at the cascading balloons, I kept waiting for her to yell "Da Plane! Da Plane!"

exmediahack, HanSenSE and Lugnuts like this.
  5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Shouting is what she does when she makes a speech. Every time she makes a point. It's her version of Trump's "We're gonna win so big ..."

As for the speech itself (and Obama's last night), it just left me wondering when Democrats became Republicans. Nothing they've said or done for years matched up with the message they tried to put out this week. It was like watching a badly dubbed movie.

I also noticed, too, that she seemed to go out of her way not to say "abortion."

old_tony and WriteThinking like this.
  6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Hot stuff! Keep 'em coming!

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Seriously, this is coming from you?

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

She didn't shout anywhere near as much as usual, even with the raucous crowd.

9. old_tony

Just something that struck me. It hit me, and I laughed. But if you're asking is it my original thought or did I get it from somewhere else, it was my own thought.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Probably because the Republicans as ww knew them died last week in Cleveland.

She got in her shots at Trump. She gave another shout out to Bernie. She showed her human side, with some help from Chelsea. But, unlike Trump, we got some clue as to how she'll do things.

11. old_tony

This is so spot-on. For a while I started to wonder if she actually realized the last eight years have been horrible.

Mr. Sunshine and Batman like this.
  12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I agree, but it was especially noticeable tonight. Otherwise, I agree with much of the rest of your post.

Despite my feeling that she overloaded her speech with Trump, her best line was about how Trump thinks he knows ISIS, and her contention, that, "No, Donald, you don't."

Her most ironic line, as I heard it, was "Wall Street can't be allowed to wreck Main Street anymore."

And, I thought this throughout the Democratic convention: It was loaded up on optimism, hope and the teamwork and moral strength of the U.S. that supposedly has its roots in its diversity and ethnic melting pot, when the reality is that there really is quite a lot of divisiveness, and morals seem decayed and declining, and none of that, or much of anything else, was really addressed any more than it was during the Republican convention.

I'm usually a pretty optimistic person, and I'm big on hope -- after all, without hope, what else is there, really? -- but this convention seemed to be a tad blindly optimistic, and, in that sense, a tad disingenuous.

Earthman and Batman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.