1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stop telling me I'm beautiful. I'm ugly.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 27, 2016.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'd go for beautiful and brainless, if I had to choose between the two. It's a truism also, in my ancedotal experience, that ignorance is bliss. The dumbest people are some of the happiest; a problem often really only exists because you KNOW that it exists. So I'd take beautiful and brainless. You get to be beautiful. ... and are probably happier for your lack of intellect.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Just look at DW and how miserable he is! :p

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And there is also the long-established (but perhaps fading now) idea that men have one path to success (work), but women have two: Have a good career OR marry well.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Nope. I'd choose smart a billion times out of a billion.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Well, work and wiles ...

6. doctorquant

In all seriousness ... I'm the father of two daughters, plus I come across all types of young women in my line of work. And in my admittedly n=1 experience, I think some (maybe a lot) of the hand-wringing over these societal nudges is unnecessary. Younger DaughterQuant's way the hell into fashion, and makeup, and singing and playing cheesy pop music ... and beating the ever-loving shit out of every other kid in the classroom, regardless of the subject. She's trotting off to one of those big Texas high schools as a freshman this fall, and it would not surprise me in the least to see her gracing the stage as a salutatorian in four years.

Further, in my classes I encounter plenty of damn good-looking and stereotypically feminine young ladies who aren't the least bit reluctant to be the smartest kid in the room.

Besides, why is it that we see winning the intelligence lottery as somehow noble and the looks lottery as somehow shameful?

I Should Coco and old_tony like this.
  7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I thinks confidence goes a long way in how you are perceived.

If you think you are ugly, you probably appear that way to others.

If you think you are awesome, you probably appear that way to others.

8. LongTimeListener

Agree with all of that, dq ...

thinking more though of the girls who wouldn't catch any attention for their looks -- not necessarily "ugly" even, but more "plain Jane"-ish. It isn't something that seems to hold boys back.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Mom doesn't want daughter looking all provocative and shit.

10. doctorquant

Gotcha. So this would be the conundrum ... if your daughter were completely average both in attractiveness and intelligence, and you could choose to improve one, and only one, by some amount ... which would you choose? And would you choose differently if it were a son, rather than a daughter, we were talking about?

11. LongTimeListener

I would answer, but I'd lose Creosote's respect (what remains of it anyway) forever.

doctorquant likes this.
  12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Beauty is much, much more subjective than intelligence.

If nothing else, choosing to "achieve" beauty is aiming at a moving target that's impossible to hit.

Draft saved Draft deleted