1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Star Trek: Beyond. Went to the 3D showing because it was earlier. I'd rate it enjoyable but not as strong as Into Darkness. 3D did nothing for me. Best 3D visuals were during the closing credits.

Also noticed that Jeff Bezos got a cast credit as a Starfleet official. Couldn't have been on screen more than about five seconds total, but I guess he gets an IMDB credit for it.

2. Winding Stream ..
    Documentary on the Carter Family. Not so much the Bristol sessions, but AP, Sara and Maybelle ... Pretty good. If you want to learn more about the roots of the first family of country music and their story its well worth it.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That sounds interesting.
    I recently watched that Les Paul: Chasing Sound. That was good

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Someone got these four individuals together and thought, 'Let's remake the uber-classic 1984 Ghostbusters. How could that not be funny'.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I really liked Star Trek: Beyond. Thought it was at least as good Darkness Great action sequences and great interplay between familiar Star Trek characters.

I have loved the reboot , it's a complete success.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

"Everybody Wants Some" Linklater's ode to 80-81; he nails it; I felt like I was starting freshman orientation again. Some things are wrenched in tight (he's got disco, Urban Cowboy, rap, and punk in a 3 day period) but the look is there. Bonus in that its about baseball players and he's got that dynamic down as well. Very fun ride.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think three of them are very funny and talented. However, Murray, Ramis and Akroyd were low-key on Ghostbusters and that (mostly) worked. These actors are not low key.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Saw "The Theory Of Everything" and "The Imitation Game" for the first time this week. Good God, Eddie Redmayne was outstanding. As I was watching, I'm thinking this is an Oscar-worthy performance. Looked it up and found out.

The guy who played Turing was also good. Cannot remember his name other than it's really long. Read he was nominated for the Oscar Redmayne won.

I enjoyed both films.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Benedict Cumberbatch. Dude is everywhere right now.

Both those movies are outstanding. How Redmayne did all the stuff he did in Theory is beyond me. Unbelieveable performance.

Liut likes this.
  10. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Saw a screening of "Jason Bourne" tonight.
    The spastic directing style of Paul Greengrass was "cool" in the first Bourne movie, but it's simply annoying in the latest film.
    Jason Bourne‬ is never boring, non-stop action, but also felt like a shallow ‪ ‎Fast And Furious‬ entry with skyline shots usually seen in tourism videos.
    The film also spends too much time trying to remind the audience of Bourne's life through a series of repetitive flashbacks.
    Ultimately, Jason Bourne is still a badass, but the movie was lazily thrown together.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Went to see "Star Trek: Beyond" yesterday and liked it. That's probably not news as I like most things Star Trek. It did start out a little slow, although it definitely got better as it went along. It was a 3D show, but, well, once I sat down, started watching and munching popcorn, I forgot I had the little glasses and never put them on. I doubt that was any big loss, though.

I liked that this edition was truly an ensemble performance, with almost all the main characters having pretty active parts in the story and action. That's something that doesn't always, or even usually, happen with Star Trek, even though all the characters have their fans. This movie definitely had more of the feel of a 'tweener, a bridge to something to come, than did its two predecessors.

12. Bad Moms looks and sounds hilarious.
    The People's Movie Critic, who's review I trust, gushed about this movie. Hilarious and filthy.
    I doubt I'd go see it this weekend, but I will watch it.

Draft saved Draft deleted