1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concerts thread: Best/Worst/Next/Last one you attended?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 1, 2007.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I have vouchers for 34 tickets. I can only use them for lawn seats at the worst concert venue I've ever been to. Yippee.

Saw Joe Jackson on Thursday. He's still great. Just a hugely underrated musician. It was the third time I've seen him and the first one was 32 years ago.

Saturday night I saw Buckethead. That was a strange, strange night.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Panic! at the Disco and Weezer.

3. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Louis CK for first time, at Sprint Center, Kansas City. He's donning a suit this time around and the material was stellar.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Billy Joel at MSG last Wednesday, loads of hits, Tony Bennett joined him to sing "New York State of Mind" and we got covers of "Highway to Hell", "Heatwave", the piano coda of "Layla" (Joel said, "I didn't write that but I wish I had") and some of "Stayin' Alive" and Zeppelin's "Rock and Roll". Great show.

HC likes this.
  5. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Best - either OzFest in 2005 or Velvet Revolver (with Chevelle) that same year
    Worst - I am not sure. I've had pretty good times. Maybe Incubus in 2006, but only because their opening act was terrible.
    Latest - The Steve Miller Band earlier this month.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Went to see Fitz and The Tantrums last week. Great show.
    It's been funny and frustrating this week, though, telling people we went out of town to see a concert. The conversation invariably goes like this:
    THEM: Oh, who'd you go see?
    ME: Fitz and The Tantrums.
    THEM: (A blank stare accompanied by three seconds of silence) ... I don't know who that is.

I sometimes try to tell them they've probably heard their songs and just don't know it, since they're being used in a half-dozen active ad campaigns right now, but that doesn't help.

7. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

June 19, Steely Dan and Steve Winwood at Caesars Palace.
    SD was good, not great as I was expecting. Becker was babbling about playing all their hits and a bunch of nonsensical crap but didn't deliver many of their best songs, Do it Again, Rikki (which I know they hate), Dr. Wu, FM etc. They were losing the crowd after some decidedly obscure tracks but came back with some better choices but then only one song during the encore. Herrington is only OK as their axe man. 6.5/10. Was hoping for 9.
    Steve Winwood was fantastic, 9.5/10. I came home and downloaded a bunch of his music and bought 5 guitar tabs of the net. His voice was great and the band tight. Did a great "Dear Mr. Fantasy", one of the most underrated songs in rock. I'd pay to see him headline but I think he's in more of a support role these days.
    In late May saw Barney Bentall and the Legendary Hearts, Canadian rock icons, and they blew the roof of the venue.

8. Saw Trixter and Firehouse ....
    I was bitching because I paid $30 to get in. We didn't go until Trixter's set was over, so I was not happy (I am also cheap, and was less-than-thrilled to fork over $60 for a couple of lame hair bands) . ... Some dumbasses paid $80 for "VIP" seating. .. That said said I was impressed by Firehouse, I think whole lineup is still the original band and they put on a damn good show. Lot of energy with great guitar and drum solos.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I have the same thing happen here when we've gone to the States to see the Avett Brothers. (And Fitz and the Tantrums are great).

Batman likes this.
  10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Hey, I know who the Avett Brothers are and that has to count for something!

Saw Winwood open for the Allmans a couple of summers ago, he was great, perfect guy for that crowd even if the set was too short. In great voice, he did stuff across his career and brought the house down with an unreal version of "Can't Find My Way Home".

I never know what I will find when I log on here in the morning (although it ain't like it used to be) but a Barney Bentall reference was about the last thing I thought I would see!

11. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Did you make their hands clap?

Batman likes this.
  12. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Curious. Did he do John Barleycorn? Heard that yesterday on the XM and it reminded me of just how much I loved Traffic.

Draft saved Draft deleted