1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This song reminds me of ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Jul 23, 2016.

2. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

A Pirate Looks At Forty always takes me back to my honeymoon with my lovely bride, on the beach at Destin.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Personal:

Extreme's "More Than Words" : the end of high school

Boys2Men" "I Swear" when Mrs. S and I first met.

Michael Jackson's "You Are Not Alone". A little girl in my area was kidnapped. The local radio stations kept playing the song for her as a massive search went on. Sadly, she was found dead.

Pop culture:

"Bohemian Rhapsody": Wayne's World

I'll echo the Bob Seger/Wonder Years and Layla/Goodfellas connection

"Eye of the Tiger: Not just Rocky III, but also Hulk Hogan's original WWF entrance.

Christina Perri's " A Thousand Years": It was this really sad wedding video on YouTube where the bride's father had died right before the wedding, so they played this song as her husband and each of her brothers and brothers-in-law danced with her as videos of her dad played in the background. Everyone in the video was crying.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Wasn't that All-4-One?

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, you are correct. I couldn't remember which one sang it, so I looked it up. The first thing was a YouTube video which said Boyz II Men, so I had gone with that. Looking at it now, there are a bunch of comments on the video saying it's All-4-One.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

We were at a wedding there the weekend before last! Beautiful beaches.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

"Someone Saved My Life Last Night"; my buddy next door had just gotten the Captain Fantastic album and it was the summer of 12 yr old LL All-Stars. We practiced 5 days a week for what seemed like a month then started the race to Williamsport, PA. Great summer. (We lost two games from Williamsport in San Bernadino (when it was single elimination.) Ah great times.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Thank you. I hadn't heard that song in forever, and I just fired it up after reading your post. Listening to it while I finish up some work and read posts on here. Great song.

qtlaw likes this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Stone Temple Pilots' "Big Empty" reminds me of "The Crow."
    It also reminds me of a field trip we took with my freshwater/marine biology class near the end of my senior year of high school. There were only about 15 of us in the class, and everyone got along well. Half the time in class we would get off on tangents and just roll with it. The teacher would even join in. One of the best classes I ever had.
    Anyway, we took a field trip to a lake. We spent the morning doing some science stuff to justify the trip, and the next two hours chilling out around the lake. Six or seven of us went for a walk around its perimeter. We walked for about two miles until we hit the end of the trail, which happened to be right across from where the teacher, a few other kids, and the bus were sitting. We didn't want to spend 40 minutes walking back since it was getting late, and a couple of us were strong swimmers, so we convinced the others to swim across the lake.
    We jumped in, fully dressed, and swam about 100 yards to where everyone was. We went back to school soaking wet and reeking of lake water on a short bus that had a tape deck in it. Someone had a copy of The Crow soundtrack and popped it in, and we listened to it on the ride home.
    One of my best high school memories.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Not a song/pop culture connection but:

May 1975, end of my junior year, two days before returning home for the summer. Driving home, west on Patterson Avenue between Three Chopt and Parham Road (some will know exactly where this is) in my friend’s cherry-red Ford Galaxy convertible, at about 3 a.m. after dropping off my date. Starry sky, a little buzzed, smoking a Marlboro red, top down on the car, and “Don’t Let the Sun Catch You Crying,” one of my favorite songs, comes on WGOE. The perfect storm.

Every time I've heard that song over the past 41 years, it reminds me of that night, when I was young, carefree and believed that all things were possible. Unfortunately, they weren't, and the woman from that night I associate with that song died of cancer several years ago, way too early in her life.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    Big Circus and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  11. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Perhaps I've just seen Goodfellas one too many times, but almost all of the songs in it will forever be linked in my mind with the associated scenes. In addition to the two already mentioned (Layla, Jump Into the Fire) the following come to mind:

• Then He Kissed Me (Henry and Karen enter the Copa)
    • He's Sure the Boy I Love (Billy Batts party)
    • Atlantis (Billy Batts beating)
    • Gimme Shelter (Henry cutting cocaine)
    • Monkey Man (Henry mixing cocaine)
    • Baby Please Come Home (Christmas party--Jimmy yells at guys for their purchases)
    • Sunshine of Your Love (Jimmy smokes cigarette, Henry realizes he plans to kill Morrie)
    • Magic Bus (Henry driving the day caught by cops)

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Great summary; I too was young and carefree then and thought the very same thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted