1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I finally got around to Ghostbusters last night. It was so much more normal than I expected. A lot of the descriptions of characters and plotlines seem to have carried a lot of baggage with them that didn't come from the movie itself (like the villain, who was a classic "misanthrope who feels his genius is underappreciated" being accused of being a strawman for the Men's Rights movement).

I thought it was better the original. The main advantage the original had over this one was prime Bill Murray being Bill Murray all over the place, which is something you can see in a bunch of movies from that period. Otherwise, I'd put Wiig at least on par if not better than Akroyd. The plot was better this time around (a counter-scientist villain and a government that was sympathetic but only tangentially allied vs. weird libertarian manifestos about government regulation) and the action sequences were far more enjoyable.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Why the eff can't they find other people to act in these? Captain Kirk is Steve Trevor? COME ON! Pick one franchise and move on.

3. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I had the same thought. Pine's in 58 other franchises, right?

DC
    Star Trek
    Jack Ryan
    Marvel
    Fox Marvel
    Ghostbusters
    Friday the 13th
    Star Wars
    Indiana Jones
    Back to the Future
    RoboCop
    Maze Runner
    Nightmare on Elm Street
    Doctor Who
    Twilight
    Scary Movie
    Highlander
    Terminator
    Stargate
    Halloween
    Hellraiser
    Ernest Goes To...
    Dukes of Hazzard
    MacGyver
    Miami Vice
    Darkman
    Die Hard
    Lethal Weapon
    Wizard of Oz
    The A-Team
    Silent Night Deadly Knight
    Children of the Corn
    Shanghi Knight/Noon/Dusk/Brunch
    Major League
    Battlestar Gallatica
    James Bond
    The Walking Dead
    Men in Black
    Short Circuit
    Rush Hour

I think I forgot a few.....

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Chris Evans chuckles at the notion.

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

If we are talking characters from comic books, I think Ryan Reynolds still wins. Last I checked - Deadpool, Green Latern, Blade and RIPD.

6. outofplace

Evans has five if you count his voice acting credit as Casey Jones in an animated Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie in 2007. He has also played four different characters in live action. In addition to Captain American, he was the Human Torch in two Fantastic Four movies, Jensen in The Losers and Lucas Lee in Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Forgot about his role in Scott Pilgrim, and actually didn't even know about his voice acting as Casey Jones, who was probably my favorite TMNT character after Michelangelo.

8. outofplace

I didn't know about that one, either. I just knew about the four live action credits. I've seen the two FF movies and The Losers and pieces of the other one. When I checked the IMDB page for the name of his character in Scott Pilgrim, I saw the TMNT credit.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

So I watched 'Deadpool' last night, and I liked it more than I thought I would.
    This is a character that appeared long after I had stopped reading comics.

I knew going into the movie that the character has regenerative powers, and I didn't get anything from the movie that indicated he had any other powers.
    The movie indicated that Ajax had enhanced reflexes.
    I'm wondering why Ajax didn't dominate the fights between them.

10. outofplace

I missed the bit about Ajax having enhanced reflexes. I thought he was only immune to pain.

Deadpool's only power is regeneration. The fighting skills were normal human ability with training.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, I guess, but I just watched it. When they are at the Workshop, he tells him that he has super reflexes and also burned all his nerve ends resulting in immunity to pain.
    Minor quibble.
    My wife hated it and went into the other room.
    I liked it.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Wonder if maybe we've reached a point of space-epic saturation, as two of the summer's most hugely hyped epic sequels, Independence Day: Resurgence and Star Trek: Beyond, are bombing in monumental enough fashion the continuation of both franchises appears to be in doubt.

Draft saved Draft deleted