1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Golf thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I seriously wonder if they'll play the PGA in Asia like they keep talking about doing every year, but never seriously considering.

I think we'll see a historic player win this week, not some no name.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I don't think Harding Park is very well regarded amongst tour pros. They had the Amex Championships when Daly collapsed, had a Presidents Cup, and then the Match Play........I don't think a lot of pros really liked it........

I don't know why Cherry Hills or The Broadmoor couldn't host a PGA.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You know what the pros like? SF. It's got fantastic hotels and fantastic restaurants and great shopping for SIs along with a great night life; not NYC but close.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I live about 15 minutes from the course and there is zero local buzz about the event.

5. Throwing darts at the board .. I'll take the Rickie "Sex Puma" Fowler to win.
    DJ to place, and Speith and Rory to No Show.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Cherry Hills got tore up a couple of years ago for the BMW, but it was tissue soft with lots of rain. The Broadmoor has a Women's Open coming up and not too long ago had a Senior Open.

There's a new TPC course going in up north (between Denver and Fort Collins) and there's talk it could get a big event down the road.

Bring back the International!

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I've always appreciated that the PGA and R&A think a lot alike
    God, if only.
    I do have a couple great stories about the International.

1. The week after Elway announced his retirement. Tiger was playing in it that week...Phil, Ernie.......all the big ones are there.
    I'm following Els around on the Friday afternoon.......finish the round, on the way to the bus to take us to the parking lot......one of the guys I was walking with looks over and sees Elway basically standing by himself.......So.......I just politely go up and ask if he would sign my hat.......he says no problem.......people see Elway sign my hat.........and KA-WOOSH........within seconds, a crowd of 40-50...............his wife at the time Janet (is three sheets to the wind drunk) starts yelling and screaming at the people wanting Elway's autograph......"Why don't you people just leave us alone?!?!........We're out here just trying to watch a golf tournament and you keep bothering us and pestering us!!!!! Just leave us the hell alone!!!!!".......

John stops signing for a brief second, turns to her (and I'll never forget this as long as I live).......mouths the words to her "SHUT THE FUCK UP"........

He signs for another few minutes, they get in a limo, and off they go.

2. On Friday morning, I'm following Tiger around for a few holes. This particular hole had real elevated sides for great viewing.......One guy had WAY WAY WAY too many drinks........Woods was in between shots, waiting on the group on the green.....Guy right beside me slips and goes tumbling asshole over elbow down the hill towards the fairway......and does not spill one drop of alcohol out of his drink......Woods sees it, starts laughing, then starts applauding!!!!!!!

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'd be happy to see Rickie finally get a major. He has not played very well at the majors this year or last year (compared to 2014 when he went T5 in all 4) but he's got the game to do it. He's got length off the tee and some good touch around the greens.

I'm thinking though that Rory gets it together to make up for missing Rio.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Castle Pines is amazing. Great views, great course.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I still wish I had my picture from the last row of bleachers from 1 tee box.
    Phenomenal.

11. Ferguson tweets: Rory has missed 3 putts 10-feet or less on first 4 holes, including one for par. ....

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Isn't that the tournament where Rich Beem made eagle and then said to his caddie "what the fuck was that?" Immediately after when an even bigger roar went up on another hole.

Draft saved Draft deleted