1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Area Man is Patriot

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

This dude Van Jones, former Obama administration official, has been very good. He took down Jeffrey Lord earlier tonight, when Lord suggested that the DNC is being hateful "against the 1 percent," and later he pointed out that the Democrats face the danger of getting "out over their skis" by appearing to be a party that only cares about a certain group (minorities) and leaves white Democrats wondering where they fit in.

"There's real pain out there. There's not just economic pain, but there's the pain of — you're talking about those union guys that 'I worked hard to send my kid to college and then my kid comes home and calls me a bigot. I don't know where I fit in anymore. I'm not respected in my own house and my paycheck doesn't look right. I'm no longer sure if I fit in America anymore.' So when somebody says, 'I'm going to make America great again,' there's a medicine that they're giving those people, and I think we have to do a better job as Democrats of identifying with that pain and dislocation. ... People need more help than they're getting from the Republicans or the Democrats."

Upon being asked if having the first 15 minutes of the DNC spoken in Spanish was a mistake or a danger of alienating white Democrats, Jones said, "I'm proud we did that, because that's America. But I think that if there's some rug burn there and somebody doesn't feel comfortable with it, before we rush to say, 'Well, your discomfort makes you a bigot ..." [cut off by David Axelrod].

Jones was acknowledging that being uncomfortable with something - foreign language, in this particular example, but I think he was alluding to further differences in race and sexuality - does not make one a bigot. I thought it was a candid take with more nuance than "screw being politically correct."

He's been very good.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Remember -- just because some of us may rip the everloving shit out of the Dem dirtbags doesn't mean we will pull the lever for Il Douche. One does not equal the other.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"I got news for you. Whatever your particular problem may be, Donald Trump has not the slightest interest in solving it. He is interested in one thing and one thing only: making you afraid of it, finding somebody to blame for it, and figuring some way of fucking you, yes you, out of money in the process. Oh wait, that's three things, but believe me, those are the only things he gives even a teeny tiny droplet of shit about. Donald Trump is a silver-spoon pampered-princess who has had his ass swabbed clean by dancing girls every single day since he was born. He's a billion dollar grifter who's made his whole career out of fucking over everybody he can get his claws into. If you think Trump is gonna do anything besides fuck you over, you need to lay off the crack pipe."

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I can't watch Lord anymore. He's insane. I understand the way TV works, so I get the whole, "I'm going to play a role to make money" bit. But he's so dishonest, it's disgusting.

Michelle Obama was fantastic tonight. If she ran, she'd win in a landslide. Hilary is not in the same class, I'm sorry.

Lugnuts likes this.
  6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Reconcile that she was campaigning on a different platform than Bernie and the spared over those differences? Like all other politician ever? Like the Republican candidates who lined up to endorse Trump after he resorted to childish name calling?

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Tony, have you ever heard the term "voodoo economics"? Do you know who introduced that term? Do you know why?

9. old_tony

Is there anything more hypocritical (and hysterical) than a woman who was paid more than $350,000 for one year of teaching one class at Harvard, a woman who came to be worth more up to $10 million by simply "teaching," to complain that the system is rigged?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A person who is so sold out to a political party that they are utterly incapable of rational thought and objectivity passing himself off as a journalist?

Riptide, RickStain, Killick and 3 others like this.
  11. old_tony

Who brought up Charlie Pierce?

RickStain and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

In the immortal words of Larry the Cable Guy, "I don't care who you are, that's funny."

old_tony and Songbird like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.