1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freelancers needed to take stats for DFW HS football

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by AMZ, Jul 12, 2016.

1. AMZ

AMZ New Member

Description:

The Dallas Morning News sports department seeks help to produce statistics and stories for high school football games in August, September, October, November and December. We are looking for candidates who already live in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex.

The job includes:

-- Traveling to a game with a laptop and wireless internet card (we provide those).

-- Inputting live play-by-play statistics

-- Writing a short recap on the game

-- Taking pictures and video on their smartphone

Candidates should have the following:

— Understanding of high school football rules and statistics.

— Fast, accurate computer skills.

— Drive to get it right, get it quickly.

— Ability to write effectively on deadline.

— Ability to commute around the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

— Be able to take pictures and video on their smartphone

This freelance opportunity is open to college students and others with experience covering high school football. It is paid. To apply, send your resume and clips to SportsDayHS digital editor Avi Zaleon at azaleon@dallasnews.com

2. Potsie Weber

Potsie Weber New Member

How does one input play-by-play statistics and take pictures at the same time?

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Oh, my. Do not apply for an entry-level sportswriting position. And they might have let people off the hook there on tweeting.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The only person who can take an action shot worth a shit with a smartphone is either the referee or umpire.

5. AMZ

AMZ New Member

Hey all, the listing was not specific enough. We just want 2-3 shots before the game of the crowd or player warm-ups. Main priority is keeping the play-by-play stats. Hope this clears things up!

6. ThomFain

ThomFain New Member

It's a bad idea. They have a bunch of frat daddies who'll take the good games while you get the 74-28 blowout between two mismatched teams in a strange suburb out in the middle of nowhere. Plus, one of the editors they have pulling the strings is of the foulest character I've ever come across in my 7+ years of Journalism.

7. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Loved my time in Dallas. Folks at the Morning News treated me right.

What happened back in the day was the people who worked for the Plano Star chain had set up their own turf boundaries when it came to stringing games for the DMN. It was an impressive system. Everyone made money.

8. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

"Everyone made money" is funny when you think about stringing.

9. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

I didn't say we made "a lot of" money....

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So the Dallas Morning News supplies the laptop to the freelancer?

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

I'll take the 74-28 games. Game story will be written before the game is over.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The only strange suburb in DFW is Denton. But in a good way.

Draft saved Draft deleted