1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dennis Green

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FileNotFound, Jul 22, 2016.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Covered his last half dozen years with the Vikings. Holy crap was it a drama every week.

Some of the wildest games I ever covered were with his 1998 and 2000 teams. Had some tactical and time management errors (a true inspiration for McCarthy and Reid for now).

Battled with him in a few press conferences after home losses. Always felt the media and fans were harsh on him given his results.

Teams were pretty damn exciting and the guy made a bunch of unorthodox moves. Many worked. The big ones didn't.

2. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Re: "The Bears are who we thought they were...and we let them off the hook," postgame rant, his point actually made a lot of sense.

Arizona knew the Bears relied on defense and special teams. They let one get away. Despite keeping the Bears' offense in check, the Cards lost because they allowed too many touchdowns via special teams and defense.

As for his coaching legacy, he...
    • Reached two NFC championship games. Vikings haven't won a whole lot of playoff games since he left.
    • Helped Northwestern shed its loser legacy, ending a 34-game losing streak and winning Big 10 coach of the year
    • Installed a power run game at Stanford, leading Stanford to a 7-game win streak in 1991 (its longest in 40 years at the time).
    • Served as a valuable offensive assistant on several 49ers Super Bowl teams.
    RIP to an underrated coach.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Green looked better as a tactician once Mike Tice took over.

Big Circus, Mr. Sunshine and Lugnuts like this.
  4. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Not a rumor. The Vikings head of security was involved:

Star-News - Google News Archive Search

Edit: Green's first few years at Minnesota went well for him, but after the allegations of sexual harassment - including one at Stanford - combined with the abortion story things turned. The "Bunker" statement did him no favors as well.

His book with a claim of an organized effort by print media members to get him fired, and his threat to take over the Vikings, I guess could be called "quirky."

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  5. Ok.
    Not sure that qualifies as a personality quirk.

6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Also the first black head coach in the Pac-10.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

He has a complicated legacy. Those Vikings teams had a ton of off-the-field issues.
    But he got to the playoffs with several different quarterbacks and offenses.
    He had a lot of elite talent but he also coached up scrubs like Sean Salisbury and Chris Walsh.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  9. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Still the best postgame rant I can remember. I recall watching it live, after one of the greatest NFL games I've ever seen.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Better than this?

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"Fuckers ... "

12. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Never understood the pencil behind the ear. What look was he going for? Tony Bruno said he looked like a guy taking your deli order.[​IMG]

Tweener likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted