1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I listened to Kirkman's most recent guest spot on Nerdist.
    He was pointing out plot problems in 'Civil War' and 'Force Awakens.'
    He was not being very critical, really, and made a point to say that the movies were so enjoyable that he didn't notice plot problems until relfecting on the movie well afterward.

Still, the idea the TWD creator is pointing out plot problem was quite funny.

2. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Figured this might fit best in this thread even if there was a little Ghostbusters talk in the movies thread. Someone shared with me an interesting Deadspin article on the actor who played Vigo the Carpathian in Ghostbusters 2. The guy was possibly a Nazi, but he was mostly famous for being a legit light heavyweight boxer in Germany. He eventually turned to acting and got some bit parts. He was one of Hans Gruber's men in Die Hard prior to Ghostbusters 2. Also had a creepy role in John Carpenter's In the Mouth of Madness in the mid '90s. General concensus was that he was a massive prick, too. Interesting read.

http://deadspin.com/the-hateful-life-and-spiteful-death-of-the-man-who-was-1737376537

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

First teaser for Marvel's Netflix series, The Defenders, which will air in 2017. For those that don't know, The Defenders will combine the heroes from four Marvel Netflix series, including Luke Cage and Iron Fist, which haven't aired yet.

There is also a trailer for the Luke Cage series, which drops Sept. 30.

RickStain likes this.
  4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The Defenders I knew as a young boy were Dr Strange, nighthawk, hulk, namor. A few I'm missing. A lot of changing parts

5. outofplace

I've seen that version. I think the most recent group included Iron Fist. Still, it makes sense as the name for a team of the heroes from the Netflix series. What else would you call it? Heroes for Hire?

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I figured they did a version of Defenders that included the Power Man and Iron Fist combo.
    I was just mentioning the version I read.
    Similar to Guardians, which was based on a comic but a different version and team composition than I read as a kid.
    I'm pretty close to super heroed out. I never finished 'Jessica Jones' or second season 'Daredevil', both of which were pretty good.
    Another Avengers or Capt America might get me to a theater, but it's a maybe. More likely I'll watch time at home when I've already paid for them on a Netflix or directv subscription.
    I've always liked the genre, but there have just been so many that I think most of my interest is spent.

If the 10 year old me was around today, I'd be loving it.

7. outofplace

Understandable. For better or for worse, I never left 10-year-old me behind. (Oh, some folks are going to have some fun with that one.)

I don't really understand not finishing something that you think is good just because you are tired of the genre. Also, I don't think Daredevil or Jessica Jones are for 10-year-old anybody. I'm not sure I'd want my daughter, who turns 13 this month, to watch either show.

That's why I don't get people saying they are "superheroed out," as you put it. These movies and televisions shows certainly have common elements and themes, but there is a hell of a lot of difference between something like Jessica Jones and the Avengers, for example.

8. outofplace

First Wonder Woman trailer. Not sold. Then again, I haven't even seen her in Batman V. Superman yet.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That trailer was boring as hell and the last thing the obsessively GrimDark!!! DC movie universe needed was a trip to Naziland.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Those are all great points. I certainly wouldn't have a 10 year old child watching daredevil or Jessica jones. You are spot on their. I probably would let a 10 year old watch Avengers movie.

It's hard to explain. The shows were good, but I just lost interest before I got to the end.
    I have very little patience for series these days.

11. outofplace

WTF? Ego, the Living Planet is Star-Lord's father in the MCU? How does THAT make sense?

12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I was underwhelemed by the Wonder Woman trailer, even though I thought she was one of the few bright spots in BvS. Unfortunately, I was even more underwhelmed by the Justice League trailer:

Draft saved Draft deleted