1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gutter, Dec 31, 2015.

1. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

Smackdown did better than Raw in the ratings this week. Obviously the draft had much to do with that, but with Smackdown now being live and draws such as Cena and Ambrose on the show, I wonder if Smackdown will be able to beat Raw in the ratings on a semi-regular basis once Monday Night Football begins.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I'd say it's pretty unlikely. Smackdown still seems like the B show, Cena notwithstanding, and I doubt there's but so much that they can do to catch up to Raw, firm in its legacy spot. Even the Smackdown Six era had them well behind Raw, and whatever interest people will gain by Smackdown being live and more promoted could be offset by burnout (who's going to watch three hours of Raw, then two hours of Smackdown the next night? Especially if there was a PPV on Sunday? And NXT and Lucha Underground on Wednesday? And TN hahahaha no).

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I could see Smackdown getting close or better ratings in isolated circumstances like Labor Day or certain NFL matchups but based on these rosters I can't see it happening regularly

4. JimmyHoward33

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

6. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I don't think Bayley's going to be the partner on Sunday. They need a dance partner for Asuka and Bayley never got her rematch.

Looks like it'll have to wait until after SummerSlam because that rematch has to be at NXT Takeover Brooklyn.

I wonder who Joe will fight? I think it's too early for Nakamura but you never know.

7. TurnTwo2

TurnTwo2 Member

It really is unfair to Bayley that she has worked so hard and done so much for WWE, and she's still stuck in NXT regardless of the circumstances. For Nia Jax, Alexa Bliss and Carmella to be up on the main roster before her is a slap in the face. I get that they likely feel they need a bigger name to sell the Brooklyn show vs. Asuka. It just sucks.

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

You make a good point on Bayley, and she is hampered by the fact that NXT still needs some headliners to stick around and prop up the brand.

However, I don't know if you heard it, but Chris Jericho kept his Friday podcast guest a secret until it was released (he usually announces it ahead of time), and it was Bayley. After I found that out, I couldn't help but wonder if Jericho had some inside info and decided to have Bayley as a surprise guest because he knew she would be the surprise partner for Banks on Sunday.

If it isn't Bayley, I'm wondering -- and I know it sounds ridiculous -- if it could be Nikki Bella.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

When it comes to the women's division, is it better to be the big fish in the smaller NXT pond?
    Seems like all women not named Charlotte get lost in the shuffle pretty quickly. Meanwhile, in NXT, they get time to shine, put on great matches and build a following. If they're just calling up NXT wrestlers to fill out the main roster, it seems like there's more upside being in the minors.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I don't look at it as her being "stuck" in NXT.

She's a pretty damn big draw there, and I'm afraid -- as others have said -- that she would get lost in the shuffle quickly once brought up. She's incredibly over in NXT, and I'm not sure that'll carry over to the main roster.

Then again, I was wrong about Enzo and Cass having staying power and look where they are.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Bayley is practically the face of NXT. The male headliners have changed, but she's been pretty much the top female star for several years now, even with Charlotte and Sasha.

I can see the E being afraid that if they bring Bayley up, that NXT attendance would fall.

The other issue is, if she was brought up, they would risk (and of course, only they would see it as a risk) her being more popular than what they want her to be. They're not as concerned if she's the top star in little NXT. But if Raw starts getting hijacked by Bayley chants during Stephanie promos, well, she'd be getting pinned in 30 seconds by Eva Marie in no time.

12. JimmyHoward33

Its unfair to Bayley because she's being paid about a tenth of what shed make on Raw, and she was signed as developmental so she doesnt have a big money no matter what deal like Nakamura and Joe do.

The problem with her on the main roster is this: You have to tell the entire story again. She's basically Cena in NXT. When was the last time she hugged someone? 85% of the Raw audience hasn't seen the early character and subsequent development that endeared her to the NXT fans. How do you fix that overnight?

They havent solved it yet for Zayn and they may yet fall victim to it with Balor.

Draft saved Draft deleted