1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OJ Simpson: Made In America

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Jun 15, 2016.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You're right, there is no harm in using the word. The people who are offended are just sensitive, chronically offended pussies.

http://adequateman.deadspin.com/wha...source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I really can't stand people who are chronically offended. I think they are pussies. JMO.

btw, the "Adequate Man" feature is hilariously misnamed. I loved the Adequate Man feature on how to have group bachelor parties, with all the bride and groomsmen/women. One of the ideas was to go fruit picking for the bachelor party. Another Adequate Man article was how to plan your lunches for the week to make sure you have enough Kale,Bok choy, white beans and couscous to last you the week.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Neither can I, being offended by the use of the word retard does not mean you're chronically offended.

I don't give a shit what he has written in the past this puts things in a little perspective for the fucking meatheads who see no problem in using the word.

4. poindexter

You can climb this hill as long as you want, JC, I personally don't give a shit. I don't use the word, but I also don't get in a huff when someone quotes an article from 30 years ago on a message board. Its a bit different than calling a kid with CP a 'retard' on a playground. You aren't that dense, I know that.
    And thanks for putting words in my mouth that "there is no harm" in using the word. I never said that. What I do hate is the perpetually offended.

Of course, South Park’s writers aren’t the only offenders. The Black Eyed Peas were the first band to sell half a million downloads with the inimitable “Let’s Get Retarded,” which later became “Let’s Get It Started” in retribution. (Its offensive title notwithstanding, “Let’s Get Retarded” is a garbage song, and its popularity raises an even bigger question: What the fuck is wrong with your taste, America?). The writers of Family Guy are also frequent offenders, and often mock those with language and speech disabilities.

The list of so-called comedy writers and songs using “retard” or “retarded” is an unsurprisingly long one—and their presence is a cosigning of the behavior that the receiving parties endure. The nonchalant wielding of words that are widely accepted as hate speech is utterly insane. It normalizes hateful language, and that normalization is damning.

Oy vey.

JC, have you ever used the word "overweight"?

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I originally said that I had no problem with the way Ragu used it. It was ther bullshit I was responding too.

Yes, I have. It doesn't offend me, neither does fatass , lardass or many other words. I am not chronically offended, but I find retard offensive when used as a pejorative.

6. poindexter

Well, it offends fat people. Listen to the podcast from this American Life. [/crossthread].

Nobody wants an 11 year old kid with CP being called a retard on the playground.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The Darden podcast with Adam Carolla and Mark Geragos finally happened:

RD 052 - Christopher Darden - Reasonable Doubt

He's not all that talkative or forthcoming, but one thing he did say was that he still gets calls about the O.J. case all the time. He said a woman called him within the last few weeks saying she saw O.J. walk in front of her car on Nicole's street the night of the murders. She said she never called in the tip because she figured the evidence was so strong he'd have been convicted anyway.

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that, Steak. I'm pretty much OJ'd out, but I'll listen for sure. I just finished reading Jeffrey Toobin's "The Run of His Life," which was the FX miniseries was based on. Any sympathy I had for Marcia Clark after the FX show is gone now. She and Darden completely blew it with their arrogance (Clark) and incompetence (Darden).

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Late to this. Just binge watched it. Great series. Very well done.

One thought: it's probably impossible to find 12 smart people who have so little going on in their lives that they can just put it on hold for 9 months.

Obviously OJ was guilty but the prosecution and police made so many mistakes that they gave all kinds of excuses for anyone who wanted to find reasonable doubt.

That being said, despite all the mistakes handling evidence, the best argument against the police planting the glove is that they couldn't frame OJ without knowing that he didn't have an alibi.

10. georgealfano

georgealfano Active Member

I listened to the trial on radio and I wasn't surprised by the acquittal. I managed to get out of a week of dish washing because I made a bet at the start of the trial that OJ would be found not guilty. I told her I never bet against someone like Johnnie Cochran.

I think the prosecution lost the case well before the gloves didn't fit. The biggest loss to the DA team was that Bill Hodgman, one of the original three Assistant DAs on the case, had a heart attack. He was very analytical and that was needed to balance the emotionalism of Clark and Darden. In her opening statement, Clark said she would present a "trail of blood DNA evidence" from the murder site to OJ's house. That completely fell apart when the procedures were shown to be faulty. Barry Schneck knew more about DNA Evidence than the DA Office, and had used it to free people who were wrongly convicted.

If you use the acronym MOW, it would be motivation, opportunity, and weapon. There was no weapon found, and the opportunity was limited in terms of time. You can find a motive that OJ was very controlling of his abused wife, but then you have to take someone who was never arrested as an adult and didn't seem to have any experience with knives nearly cutting Nicole's head off.

I read a bunch of books on the trial and one written by three of the jurors said OJ probably did it but there was room for reasonable doubt. I think that was pretty much correct. The jurors at the criminal trial didn't hear the evidence presented at the civil trial.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He was never going to found guilty by that jury, the documentary showed this.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The best witness against OJ would have been his agent, based on what he said in the 30/30. However at the time he was still in OJ's corner.

I have a great deal of respect for what Clark and Darden did, because they had no control over the police ineptitude (who brings the blood back to the crime scene?) and Fuhrmann (you play the cards dealt to you) and here they were facing what amounted to one of the few times LA County was going to get out-gunned, resource wise. Its tough putting on a case, especially when a judge like Ito allows so much latitude (a visit to the house? Really?; why go to OJ's house but not the crime scene?)

Even the greatest case would stand very little chance of winning given what the jurors were saying on camera, how do you overcome "Payback (for LA's historical treatment of blacks)?"

Draft saved Draft deleted