1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freelancer Available in Kansas City area...

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help available' started by JosephMyers, Jun 9, 2015.

1. JosephMyers

JosephMyers Member

Hello. My name is Joseph Myers and I previously posted here under another username, but I managed to forget it and have now created a new one so I can try to be more active on SJ.com.
    My "full-time" job is that I'm an Active Duty soldier in the U.S. Army, where I'm a Behavioral Health Technician and a non-commissioned officer (Sergeant/E-5 type). I've been in about 4 1/2 years and just PCS'd from Fort Benning in Georgia to Fort Leavenworth in Kansas. However, prior to joining the Army, I was a sports writer from 1995-2010 for several different newspapers in Tennessee and Georgia. I covered everything from youth and local high schools up through college and professional sports.
    Most recently, I was the lead freelancer for The Ledger-Enquirer in Columbus, Ga., where I worked for Kevin Price, who I believe posts on here and is a known entity. I covered high school sports, Columbus State University (Peach Belt Conference Division II), the Columbus Lions and Columbus Cottonmouths professional teams along with whatever else Kevin threw at me. I also currently do freelance work for Sherdog.com, one of the top mixed martial arts Web sites on the Internet.
    As I stated earlier, I just moved to Fort Leavenworth and am available to cover games, write features or do whatever's needed for newspapers needing coverage in the Kansas City area. If you have a team coming this way and don't want to pay your reporter for the extra hours and the mileage, I'm your guy. It doesn't matter if it's a travel team playing in a regional softball tournament or the Cincinnati Reds coming to Kansas City to take on the Royals. I'm also willing to travel some for assignments, so if that means going to Lawrence for a Kansas football game, I can do that as well. No assignment is too big or too small and working on tight deadlines is something I've done for almost 20 years now.
    I have clips and references available upon request. Thanks for considering me for your publications and I hope to hear from some of y'all soon.

Joseph Myers
    josephc.myers@yahoo.com
    (678) 882-6203 (Cell)

2. JosephMyers

JosephMyers Member

Bumping this to include the ability to cover Kansas City T-Bones American Association baseball as well as soccer at Sporting Kansas City in MLS and FC Kansas City in the NWSL.
    Also available for college assignments at UMKC, Kansas, Kansas State, University of Saint Mary (NAIA) and other schools in the Kansas City and surrounding area...

3. JosephMyers

JosephMyers Member

Bumping with the Big 12 women's soccer championship and NCAA Division III men's and women's soccer championships coming to the Kansas City area in the near future.

4. JosephMyers

JosephMyers Member

Also add the WAC volleyball and men's soccer championships to upcoming events. I'm your guy if you're needing coverage of anything - big or small - in the Kansas City area.

5. JosephMyers

JosephMyers Member

Needing any late-season Chiefs coverage or the NCAA Division II national title game in football covered? I'm your guy. I got a call from this post about covering one of the D-III national soccer title matches but was unable to do it due to Army obligations (the one weekend out of three months, damn it!). Don't let that discourage you from e-mailing me if you need someone.

6. JosephMyers

JosephMyers Member

Bumping this with the upcoming Big 12 basketball and wrestling tournaments coming up. If you're needing coverage in the Kansas City area or any of the surrounding environs (Lawrence, Topeka, etc.), let me know.

7. JosephMyers

JosephMyers Member

Bumping this with the NAIA National Men's and Women's Tournaments coming up in Kansas City and Independence. If you have a school or schools in the tournaments and are needing coverage, let me know.

8. JosephMyers

JosephMyers Member

Bumping this with the fall sports season cranking up soon. These are some of the schools in my neck of the woods that I'm available to cover. No assignment too big or too small....

NCAA Division I
    University of Kansas Lawrence, KS
    University of Missouri-Kansas City Kansas City, MO
    Kansas State University Manhattan, KS

NAIA Schools
    Baker University Baldwin City, KS
    Benedictine College Atchison, KS
    Haskell Indian Nations University Lawrence, KS
    MidAmerica Nazarene University Olathe, KS
    Ottawa University Ottawa, KS
    University of Saint Mary Leavenworth, KS
    Avila University Kansas City, MO
    Park University Parkville, MO

NCAA Division II
    Rockhurst University Kansas City, MO
    William Jewell University Liberty, MO
    Emporia State University Emporia, KS
    Washburn University Topeka, KS
    Pittsburg State University Pittsburg, KS
    University of Central Missouri Warrensburg, MO
    Missouri Western State University St. Joseph, MO
    Northwest Missouri State University Maryville, MO

Junior Colleges
    Johnson County Community College Overland Park, KS
    Metropolitan Community College-Penn Valley Kansas City, MO
    Metropolitan Community College-Maple Woods Kansas City, MO
    Metropolitan Community College-Longview Kansas City, MO
    Metropolitan Community College-Blue River Kansas City, MO
    Kansas City Kansas Community College Kansas City, KS

9. JosephMyers

JosephMyers Member

Bumping this with the transition from fall to winter sports. Also, there are some national championships (NCAA Division II football, NCAA Division II men's and women's soccer) coming up in the Kansas City area and I can be your boots on the ground. If your school is coming to this area for any games or championships, let me know and I can take care of you. Below is a list of some of the schools that are close by to me.

NCAA Division I
    University of Kansas Lawrence, KS
    University of Missouri-Kansas City Kansas City, MO
    Kansas State University Manhattan, KS

NAIA Schools
    Baker University Baldwin City, KS
    Benedictine College Atchison, KS
    Haskell Indian Nations University Lawrence, KS
    MidAmerica Nazarene University Olathe, KS
    Ottawa University Ottawa, KS
    University of Saint Mary Leavenworth, KS
    Avila University Kansas City, MO
    Park University Parkville, MO

NCAA Division II
    Rockhurst University Kansas City, MO
    William Jewell University Liberty, MO
    Emporia State University Emporia, KS
    Washburn University Topeka, KS
    Pittsburg State University Pittsburg, KS
    University of Central Missouri Warrensburg, MO
    Missouri Western State University St. Joseph, MO
    Northwest Missouri State University Maryville, MO

Junior Colleges
    Johnson County Community College Overland Park, KS
    Metropolitan Community College-Penn Valley Kansas City, MO
    Metropolitan Community College-Maple Woods Kansas City, MO
    Metropolitan Community College-Longview Kansas City, MO
    Metropolitan Community College-Blue River Kansas City, MO
    Kansas City Kansas Community College Kansas City, KS

10. JosephMyers

JosephMyers Member

Bump with the NAIA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament coming up next week in Kansas City. I'm available to cover any and all teams you may have in the field.

Draft saved Draft deleted