1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking Sports Editor | Crookston, Minnesota

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by SFIND, Jun 28, 2016.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Seeking Sports Editor

The Crookston Daily Times, a Monday-through-Friday newspaper in a city of 8,000 people northwest Minnesota, is seeking a full-time sports editor. Start date as soon as possible. New college graduates welcome to apply. In our print and digital formats, you'll cover the Crookston High School Pirate athletic teams as well as the Golden Eagle athletic teams on our beautiful University of Minnesota campus. Photoshop and QuarkXpress skills a plus, but we will train. Benefits package includes health insurance and 401k plan. Send cover letter, resume and any writing samples to Times Managing Editor Mike Christopherson at mchristopherson@crookstontimes.com, or to 124 South Broadway, Crookston, MN 56716. Questions, call the Times at 218 281-2730 or reach Mike on his cell at 218 280-0771.

2. Potter

Potter Member

A "city" of 8,000 people?

3. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

What exactly do you mean by that @Potter? If it's incorporated, it's a city. It's not a township or a village. I'm from a city not much larger, and yes, it is a real city -- with a council/manager government, grocery stores, retail shops, restaurants, paved streets, streetlights, and stoplights. I take offense on behalf of Crookston for you insinuating it's not a city because of a small population.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Yes, 'city' just describes a municipality's structure of government. Like in Virginia, you either live in a county or a city, and there are some small cities. Where I live now, though, a city means having a mayor rather than a council/manager.

5. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

OK, a little context for those interested.

Single-section paper
    Circulation roughly 1,000
    UMC is NCAA Division II and competes in the Northern Sun. Competitive league, but most of the UMC teams are bad.
    HS has boys and girls hockey teams and UMC has women's equestrian, plus most of your more common sports.
    Town has a Walmart but not much more
    25 miles to Grand Forks, ND and 70 miles to Fargo, ND

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I like the fact they still use Quark. If a better program was invented to simply lay out newspaper pages, I haven't used it.

And unfortunately, I've used several "content management systems" and their bastardized versions of InDesign since I paginated with Quark.

7. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Guessing the pay is $25k if you're lucky. A bit sad since Forum Comminications pays its weekly reporters more.

8. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Found a 2006 job posting and salary was 20-25k

Draft saved Draft deleted