1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great opportunity in sports | Clute, Texas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by SFIND, Jun 13, 2016.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Great opportunity in Sports

The Facts, a 15,000-circulation daily newspaper and website serving the Texas Gulf Coast for 100 years, is seeking the second person for our two-person sports staff. The position is a roughly 60-40 mix of page production and writing, so strong word and design skills both are a necessity. Game coverage in multiple sports and column writing are part of the opportunity. This is an ideal position for a recent college graduate, or a person at a weekly, semiweekly or smaller daily looking to move up.

ABOUT US: Surfside Beach is at our coverage area's back door, and Houston is near its front door. We offer the amenities of coastal living, the convenience and comfort of a small town, and proximity to Houston for our employees to enjoy everything a big city has to offer. We offer competitive pay and benefits, plus a fun work environment and editors who focus on developing employees' strengths.

HOW TO APPLY: Send a resume and six of your best clips, both writing and design, to Managing Editor Michael Morris, 720 S. Main St., Clute TX 77531 or e-mail to michael.morris@thefacts.com.

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Make sure to ask for mosquito netting as part of the package :)

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
  3. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

What SpeedTchr said. Did 2 years, 9 months and 14 days here, with a tyrant sports editor, in the early to mid 80s.

The mosquito is the state bird in Clute/Lake Jackson/Freeport.

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

5. Jesus_Muscatel

I refused to go to that on general principle.

I did get, excuse the expression, roped into the Brazoria County fair to do a rodeo story.

It was the only way the tyrant SE would let me pay my own way to go to Dallas to do Texas vs. Zero U. Had to build up my clips, homeslice.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I worked at The Facts for 18 months (until 1986) as a photographer. Did the Mosquito Fest, the fair, way too many poorly lighted high school football games ... just about anything that was going on, I was there.

Not a bad gig for the second job out of school.

7. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

Circulation is 15k so not a bad gig at all. It's a wet heat.

8. Jesus_Muscatel

Was my second newspaper gig, also, after 18 months at their sister paper, the Baytown Sun.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

The Facts AND the Baytown Sun. If only you'd done time at the Galveston Daily News, you could say you'd done the Texas Gulf Coast trifecta.

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
  10. Jesus_Muscatel

A couple of my buddies worked in Galveston, Albert, in different eras. I was hangin' with the rough crowd out at Surfside, after my divorce ...

Draft saved Draft deleted