1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So you "accidentally" get a text with newsworthy info ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you are defense attorney, I think "exasperating" clients would be part of the job description.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

If you're a defense attorney, there's also a pretty good probability that you're a piece of shit who wouldn't think twice about throwing a troubled soul or two under the bus in the name of self preservation.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Wow. Good thing we have prosecuting attorneys that are all beacons of light and justice to battle the evil defense attorneys.

Doc Holliday and Lugnuts like this.
  4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Think maybe creosote was using blue font.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I get our delusional posters mixed up.

Lugnuts likes this.
  6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Wasn't using blue font at all. Also wasn't speaking in absolutes, even though I know that's against SJ protocol.

There's a good probability that a sizable percentage of people in ANY occupation are self-centered assholes. It's not exclusive to lawyers.

Maybe I'm wrong about the reason why, but you'll never convince me that a lawyer in a high-profile situation could write a lengthy missive about his famous client and then "accidentally" send it to the largest media operation in the world.

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

But with all the paperwork and messages that lawyers have to ping around all day long you don't think this was an honest mistake?

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Happens all the time on the iPhone.

It's a quirk or a flaw, IMO.

You receive a text.
    You read it but chose to ignore-- and don't respond.
    You are also texting with another person.
    You go to reply to the person you are texting with-- and the conversation que that is called up is the most recent text received.

Happened to me just yesterday, and if you read about this, it's exactly what happened in the case.

9. Most defense attorneys I dealt with - if they had NOTHING to say, never called back or responded to requests for comment.

10. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I think it's no different than than when you overhear a conversation you aren't supposed to hear, which can happen in any number of normal situations.

You certainly can't "unhear" what you heard, but you have to ask it again in a clearly on the record way.

Draft saved Draft deleted