1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's been a while since I've started a car thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, May 22, 2016.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I don't remember the number I saw on the contract, but it wasn't even close to that.

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

See a financial counselor. You're not helping your cause by lying to yourself.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Don't know about the rest of you all, but I am ready for some new boots stories.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Right, but really not germane to the hypothetical, which was intended to illuminate what I might call "hidden" actual interest.

Indeed, but I noted that reality in specifying "for a given borrower" ...

Probably to make it clearer, you can just think about it this way: Suppose the dealer is offering 0% financing at a sales price of $10,000. If you pay cash up front, though, I guaran-damn-tee you you can get that car for less than $10,000. However much extra you have to pay to get the 0% financing is in essence prepaid interest.

When you're talking about car-buying and car-financing, there are so many ways the "real" rate is hidden from the consumer it's not even funny. The contract may say 3% or 4%, but it would easily be the case that the effective rate is far higher than that.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I feel bad that we are ganging up on smallp.

Seems like the board at least should be able to provide him with a nasty legalish letter to the insurance company, a financial whiz to accompany him to the dealer, an in-dash espresso machine, a free pedicure and some of that good green stuff.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    Vombatus likes this.
  6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

7. Smallpotatoes

How am I lyiug to myself?
    And how, exactly did someone arrive at the 29 percent number on the Neon?
    What probably more likely is that I just took a wild guess at certain numbers because I couldn't tell you the exact number without looking it up and my guess was way off.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  8. Smallpotatoes

Got the final word about my gap claim and here it is:

9. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Work in a cannery in Alaska. No need for a car, and your room and board is take care of.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, at least you have a sense of humor about it.

Ace and Smallpotatoes like this.
  11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Sp, what was the justification for their decision?

12. Smallpotatoes

"Condition adjustments."

Draft saved Draft deleted