1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So you "accidentally" get a text with newsworthy info ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have run the Manziel text. Part of that is because I'm very sympathetic to all the paperwork and messages that lawyers have to ping around all day long and never be expected to make a mistake. And I also know how sacrosanct the attorney-client relationship is. It wasn't particularly news worthy. I'd have some mercy.

Doc Holliday and lcjjdnh like this.
  2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Playing devil's advocate, if you're at a weekly in Podunk, you probably don't want to piss off the football coach. On the flip side, if you're working for a weekly in Podunk, the work will make you miserable no matter what you do.

LongTimeListener and JC like this.
  3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I wouldn't run it without an on the record call to the attorney to thoroughly discuss the contents of the text.

I'd press the hell out of him with questions.

It's not a slam dunk just to run it.

But you certainly can't ignore it.

exmediahack and Ace like this.
  4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

If the agent makes a mistake and puts something out there that shouldn't be out there, don't you dare run it. But if the po po make a mistake and it means a murderer or rapist gets to walk, let him walk.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  5. Dick Whitman

Why
    I'm not following.

6. cjericho

well Dickie you are sympathetic to the attorney-client relationship, we get that. but if the po po make a mistake and it means, letting a rapist or murderer walk, you are all good with that.

7. Dick Whitman

We have a Constitution.

lcjjdnh likes this.
  8. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

Hillary fan I suppose?

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Nailed it!

HanSenSE and YankeeFan like this.
  10. cjericho

Yeah we do. And the attorneys are swamped with paperwork and the attorney-client relationship is sacrosanct so if they make a boo boo have some sympathy. But if the po po slip up, let that murderer walk. And if anyone doesn't like it pound salt.

11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Exactly. Sometimes you just have to remember that people are people and the story isn't worth the shitstorm it produces. This was one of those times when it really didn't matter.

What surprised me is that the Associated Press decided to run it. AP used to be widely respected and regarded as the authority when it came to news. But, I suppose since TMZ kicks their ass daily, they said to hell with their ethics and joined the chaos.

Very Disappointing. The way news is gathered and distributed has definitely changed, and not necessarily for the better.

Tweener likes this.
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Ten years ago, this never would've seen the light of day. Them's the times we live in.

(That's not to say this isn't newsworthy -- you have an attorney basically admitting his client is a fuckup. And he admitted to the text being his in the followup call.)

Draft saved Draft deleted