1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Recruitment

My old job
    Marc Lancaster's old job
    Zac Boyer's current job, but he's relocating to London because his wife is taking a job there.

I know for a while it was a great job and I loved it. We lost a lot of people and it became more difficult to do it as well as I would have liked. What's it like now? I don't know.

2. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

50-70K? Yikes.

4. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

I assume by the yikes that's lowball

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

What does the Times aspire to be nowadays? I haven't seen the section in a few years.

And I was making almost $50k in that area working a much, much less demanding position.

6. Mister413

Mister413 New Member

I would fight Conor McGregor bare knuckles in the basement of a Dublin pub for $70K at this point in my life.

7. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

I decided to pull a random place out of the air -- in this case, Lima, Ohio -- and see what the equivalent cost of living would be. $70K in DC adds up to $45,867 a year in Lima. Which in comparison to where you are at financially may indeed be very good money. However, it is not fighting McGregor -- or for that matter any drunken Dubliner -- kind of money.

Ryan Holmgren likes this.
  8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

70k is doable here. Especially if this is an off-peak commute and you can live farther outside the city without losing your mind in traffic.

Heaven forbid you want to buy a house, though. Or have kids.

I made it on 50k or less for a few years, but I also lived in a pretty bad part of town where the rent for a studio apartment was "only" $1,000/month.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  9. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Yes, 70k is doable for the area, but that's the absolute high end of the scale. Anything less than that could be quite difficult, even if you do live an hour outside the city. You may need a second income to live comfortably.

That said, it's a job running a sports section in a major metropolitan area, so it will surely bring out a host of quality candidates.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I lived in Annapolis, but that was doable on the desk. The sports editor as the job seems to be currently constituted probably needs to live close to the city because of the writing/assignments that are involved. I don't think the staff is large enough to support a primarily on-site SE.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If it is 70 tops, it is less than it used to be. I was in the office every day at first, when we had a full staff and I was not writing. As the staff got trimmed and I had to write more, I still made the office most days. I don't think Zac spent as much time in the office. Some of the work I did at the end (briefs for example) and some of the work Sunshine did have been farmed out to others. There's no layout involved but with a staff of three you'll be writing a lot as well as supervising the other writers.

I lived about 40 minutes away from the office, with the usual DC disclaimer without traffic. And there's always traffic. Was going to move to a joint about 20 minutes away (albeit for a much larger chunk of my pay) and then I got another job.

It would help to have more people, for sure, but you can still do some good work there. I had an A-plus deputy and an A-plus designer and that made it much, much easier on me. If I was out, I didn't have to worry about shit getting done. And people have been saying this paper is going to die FOR YEARS. Well, it hasn't yet and almost certainly won't any time soon.

Tweener and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

When applying for jobs in Washington ask about free parking at the office. If you do not receive it then deduct a couple of thousand dollars from the pay package.

Draft saved Draft deleted