1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rhino-hided Sports Editor wanted in Maryville, Tenn.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TDT_Marcus, May 19, 2016.

1. TDT_Marcus

TDT_Marcus New Member

POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Daily Times, a seven-day morning newspaper in Maryville, Tenn., is searching for a full-time sports editor to lead its award-winning sports department. Located outside of Knoxville, The Daily Times puts an emphasis on presenting prep sports with a big-time feel, while also providing our readers in-depth coverage of college athletics. The primary job is to supervise — recruit, coach, manage, edit, inspire — the freelance and full-time sports staff to produce a high-standard digital and print product. The job also entails coverage and content production. A get it done and get it done right attitude is essential. This job does not involve page design, but does require an ability to work with the hub copy desk on daily section design.

This position is being reposted. Interviews for finalists will begin shortly after Memorial Day. The anticipated start date is late June/early July.

KEY JOB SKILLS: Planning and coordinating storytelling for digital and print
    Analyzing traffic patterns, researching solutions and incorporating new ideas for our coverage.
    Enhancing social media efforts to reach a wider audience as a promotional tool box.
    Collaborating with all levels of the newsroom, advertising and design hub.
    Represent the paper in a professional manner.
    Familiarity with the AP’s sports coding system is a plus.
    A bachelor’s degree in communications or an equivalent in education or experience is required for this position. Three or more years of professional newspaper experience is preferred.

APPLY: Send non-returnable PDF files of a cover letter and resume, and either a PDF containing selections of your sportswriting or a hypertext link to your online portfolio, to marcusf@thedailytimes.com. The Daily Times is an Equal Opportunity Employer, located at the border of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Tennessee does not have a state personal income tax, and Blount County enjoys high-quality living in a low-cost of living environment.

2. TDT_Marcus

TDT_Marcus New Member

Some notes for applicants:
    • If you are a prep beat writer at a daily that is frustrated by the budget cuts imposed by corporate, were a prep beat writer down-sized out, or are a weekly or three-day or five-day sports editor/writer looking for the next step, this may be the exact career fit. Providing the best prep coverage of our schools is our No. 1 priority and the resources available to the sports department reflect that commitment.
    • In 99 percent of cases, this is not a first job out of college position.
    • This is a case where the current sports editor is on the editorial team hiring the replacement, meaning the position is open due to promotion.
    • Take it as a minimum that clips should reflect applicant knows AP style and demonstrate knowledge of such things as the difference between throwing a shutout, a shutout performance and seeing a team shut out an opponent.
    • The first cut we make is eliminating incomplete emails that do not contain the three items specified.
    • A non-returnable pdf means we keep any files you send. (Yes it's happened where we've been asked to send back the pdfs, we didn't just make that up.)
    • Rhino-hided means thick skinned, which is essential in this position.

3. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

I can't imagine why someone would need the PDF back.

4. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

That line threw me too. Some people have previously submitted CVs/resumes, not kept copies and then asked if this paper still had them? Or wanted to re-edit or something? I can't imagine either scenario. I've got a resume saved on a couple computers and multiple cloud drives/email accounts (along with other important docs).

5. TDT_Marcus

TDT_Marcus New Member

Wish I could give the exact specifics, but it was more a case of this person didn't get hired, then wanted their pdf files "returned" because we weren't entitled to "keep" their work when they needed to use it to apply for another opening. I can only wish I made this up rather than having to explain it each time we post an opening for the newsroom.

TigerVols, steveu and Potter like this.
  6. georgealfano

georgealfano Active Member

What if you only have an elephant hide?

JordanA likes this.
  7. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

I asked that question once, and the editor replied that some morons have requested that the paper return their PDFs. SMH

8. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

Sounds like you made the right call on not hiring someone who'd want their PDFs back ... lol

9. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Not gonna lie, kinda reminds me of those famous "Bootstrap Journalism" job postings we used to frequently see here years ago, though obviously this isn't bizarre or psychotic like those were.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It seems like a pretty good job for the right person at the right time. I think the job posting here is specific and helpful.

11. H-Dale08

H-Dale08 Member

But wouldn't they have a copy of it in their sent mail folder? Or am I giving said person too much credit for realizing that was even an option for them?

12. TDT_Marcus

TDT_Marcus New Member

We got a great group of applicants and will be finishing up interviews Monday. Anticipate letting those folks know what's up middle of next week.
    So this is the note saying we are no longer accepting applications at this time.

To answer those other questions.

George- Elephant hide just isn't thick enough for this market. Look up Great American Rivalries: Maryville vs Alcoa football, and that's 20 of the 52 weeks with summer workouts. The schools aren't 10 minutes apart. If you can not only take, but appreciate the humor in some of the calls that situation creates, the skin is thick enough.

H-Dale - That's exactly what I said at the time, along with just opening the trash on a Mac ...

Ice9 - Not in that bootstrap cat, but it's a whole lot of fun for someone who has the calling for sports. The good days here lead by a mercy-rule count on the tough ones.

Draft saved Draft deleted