1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golden ages of sports cities

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, May 30, 2016.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I will always root for Buffalo in a championship game or series. Good fans. Too much heartbreak. 0-3 in Stanley Cup finals, 0-4 in Super Bowls.

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Gainesville, Fla.: 2006-2008. Four championships, two in football, two in basketball. Can any other college claim that?

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

No basketball titles, but Tuscaloosa has had a national champion every year from 2011-15 (and counting). Three in football, two each in men's golf and women's gymnastics, one each in softball and women's golf.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

And basketball isn't even really a thing there.

5. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Didn't the 1981 Astros lose a one-game playoff to the Dodgers too?

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I wonder how often the four sports town has but al;
    Even worse, they blew a 2-0 lead in the division series brought on by the strike. The Dodgers became the first team to overcome a two-game deficit and win a five-game series.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Claim away. Golden age, indeed.

[​IMG]

Donny in his element and Gator like this.
  9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Is that how they normally put handcuffs on inmates? Doesn't look too comfortable.

10. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

How many cities/markets can say they had as many Hall of Famers competing at one time as the Bay Area did from the mid-'80s to mid-'90s?
    49ers: Joe Montana, Bill Walsh, Charles Haley, Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lott, Steve Young
    Giants: Barry Bonds
    A's: Rickey Henderson, Dennis Eckersley
    Warriors: Chris Mullin, Don Nelson
    Sharks: Igor Larionov
    Don't forget Stanford football (two Rose Bowl wins and an Orange Bowl victory since 2010). David Shaw only got there in 2011 and already has the third-most wins in program history,

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Three HOF coaches/managers in Walsh, Nelson and LaRussa. Art Shell doesn't count. Stanford hoops and baseball (two CWS titles in the era) weren't too shabby either - and I'm a Cal guy. (Hey we had the Kidd era in hoops and the Bruce Snyder era at Cal so it wasn't so bad either).

RubberSoul1979 likes this.
  12. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

That is an impressive list with four sports, but off the top of my head I would say:

Green Bay/ Milwaukee in the early 1960s with 12 packers and Aaron, Mathews and Spahn with the Braves.

Bay Area in the early 70s with mccovey, mays and marichal with the Giants, jimmy Johnson and Dave Wilcox on the 49ers, archibald and Thurmond on the Warriors, Jackson, fingers and hunter on the athletics and a slew of raiders: stabler, blanda, Caspar, biletnikoff, Otto, brown, upshaw, shell, Hendricks, guy and Larry brown.

Early 1980s New York: islanders had bossy, trottier, smith, potvin, gillies. Rangers had Esposito. Yankees had Jackson, Winfield and Gossage. Giants had Taylor and Carson. Knicks had Bernard King.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted