1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Amazing that Rashford made the Euro squad given where he was just a few months ago. I'm not sold on him as being in Martial's class for United, but it will be interesting to see what Mourinho does with him.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

USA is good enough for his parents to make a living and a home and was good enough for him to go through high school.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It seemed pretty clear at the time that his father was pushing him hard to commit to Italy. I don't understand how you can reject your country of birth.

6. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. cjericho

Johnny playing NFL Europe now?

8. JohnHammond

Rossi took a gamble thinking his money-making potential would be higher playing for Italy. Didn't work out due to injuries.

Would he make the U.S. team in his current state?

9. cjericho

Would think he could still turn it around, just that in Italy they have more to choose from. If they allowed players to change national teams would think the US would strongly consider giving him a shot since the World Cup is 2 years away. Talk of Rossi makes me think of Freddy Adu. If he could do it over, would he play for Ghana, or a European club. Remember, when he signed with MLS, guy at my old place was thinking he could be completely physically overmatched and probably get hurt. Don't think anyone pictured his career playing out the way it did. I'm just a casual soccer fan, but would like to see a 30for30 on him.

10. RevPastor

RevPastor Member

I saw this and my first thought was... Ugh.

I feel sorry for the kid. He's growing older and starting to come to certain realizations that he didn't quite have as a child...

It isn't that simple...

I could completely get it. There are quite a few people that I played with while growing up that didn't support USA, instead choosing the national teams of their parents and grandparents. Given the close ties that his father had to Italy, it made sense.

I don't begrudge him the choice. I only wish he'd chosen differently...

Freddy Adu did play in Europe. It just didn't go well. I'd argue that the issue wasn't Adu and that his career was hindered more by Peter Nowak than by anyone else. He created a contentious locker room by pitting the entire team against the kid making money. This was compounded by pressure from the league to play him, no matter what. It was just a terrible way to build a team as well as bring in a youngster.

11. cjericho

Meant, when he turned pro, then play in Europe. Obviously wouldn't be on a top team as a young teen, but maybe in the team's academy.

12. JohnHammond

Draft saved Draft deleted