1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Alan Moore is gonna be pissed at this DC Comics Rebirth.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

This was the most insane point in any comic book movie. Ever. I've been watching Superman since George Reeves and Batman since Adam West and Gotham City and Metropolis are not across the river from other. They were originally both NYC stand-ins. If you want to make the case that Clark Kent would have migrated to Chicago from Kansas and not New York, that's believable.

But Gotham and Metropolis are not the East Coast version of SF and Oakland.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think the modern analogues (or at least the last time I checked; who can keep up when they reboot everything every two years?) are:

New York City - New York City. It exists on its own.
    Gotham City - Cleveland or maybe Boston. Gritty, fading industrial town.
    Metropolis - Chicago? Big city with some glitz, but not as overblown as NYC
    Blüdhaven - Baltimore. A shithole wrapped inside of a cesspool.
    Central City - Obviously Kansas City. A major midwestern city that straddles two states
    Coast City - San Diego. Big military presence, on the West Coast, but clearly not LA or San Fran.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Anybody else read Captain America: Steve Rogers today? Honestly, I don't care if it is a fake-out or not. Sometimes Marvel just goes way too far with the cheap bullshit. It's not One More Day annoying, but it's close.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Steve Rogers was Hydra all along? It was nice when there was one universe

6. outofplace

Just got in from seeing X-Men: Apocalypse. It was decent, but not as good as First Class or Days of Future Past. Remember when people got their first peek at Apocalypse and thought his look sucked? It still sucks in the final product. There are also some massive plot holes. Cinema Sins is going to have a field day with this one.

That said, the primary cast is very good. There is another great Quicksilver scene. Singer wove Wolverine's appearance into the story well. (Don't give me shit about spoilers. It's in the last trailer.) There are quite a few parts that make a lot more sense for fans of the comics, including the scene at the end of the credits, which is absolutely meaningless if you don't recognize a particular name.

7. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

X-Men
    Don't make the third film in a franchise and put in a line about the third film in a another franchise sucking ... in case your movie sucks.
    It was over the top. Eeeeeevil villain wants to blow up the world. Magneto is conflicted. J-Law sleepwalks through her performance. No one from the first film looks even 10 years older even though 20 years have passed. The detour to get a Hugh Jackman cameo served the story in no way whatsoever. Olivia Munn's outfit didn't get enough screen time.

Quicksilver is awesome and so is his scene.

Overall, such a letdown compared to the first and second and opening two-thirds of Wolverine in Japan.

SPOILER BELOW

Angel, a fucking character who can fucking fly, fucking dies in a fucking plane crash, fucking trapped in a fucking plane with a fucking hole blown in it. He can't get out and fly away but Olivia Munn can jump out and her arm lightsaber can slice into the side of a building to slow her fall. Jesus Fuck. That was stupid. And Havok dies so he can be new MacGyver on CBS this fall.

8. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I was excited and bummed to hear Apocalypse was going to be the third installment. Excited because it was one of my favorite arcs and sad because I knew Singer would mess it up. None of the trailers left me with, 'Gadzooks! Holy sweet mother of pearl. I'm buying tickets right now!' feeling. It just looked bad. I'll still probably see it during a matinee if I can.

9. outofplace

Bradley, the movie actually wasn't a bad characterization of Apocalypse. They tweaked some things about him, but overall, I thought it was true to the source material.

I completely disagree regarding the part with Wolverine, though it did more to serve the larger storyline than this individual movie. I do have a big problem with that part of the movie because it doesn't really fit with the end of Days of Future Past, but that is tough to explain without getting too deeply into spoilers.

I also have trouble with Magneto's role in the story. I just thought it was too tidy.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Aunt Mae should not give me a boner!

There. I said it.

11. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Not all Highlanders are Immortals. And not all Immortals are Highlanders.

12. Cause for alarm that X-Men - in its second week - was bumped from the top spot by TMNT?

'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2' Wins Ho-Hum Weekend With $35.3M

Draft saved Draft deleted