1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great one-off movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, May 29, 2016.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Everybody's All-American is, I think, the single most depressing sports movie ever made.
    I went to LSU, so I'd always wanted to see it to see the shots of campus and how they filmed it. The first hour was cool.
    And then Ghost spends the next 90 minutes having life repeatedly punch him in the balls, at the end of which there's not a happy ending or even one of acceptance. His best friend fucks his wife while he becomes a shell of a man telling old stories on the rubber chicken circuit.
    I wanted to blow my own brains out by the end of it.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You probably shouldn't read the book, then.

3. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Lost in Translation.
    Ferris Bueller (we're close to 30th anniversary right now).
    Planes, Trains and Automobiles.
    Truman Show.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

5. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

My Dog Skip. The room gets really dusty.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The new version of "Vacation." It was legitimately funny. They did a nice job of capturing the heart of the original, and acknowledging it, without getting weighed down by it. Ed Helms pulls off the role of Rusty nicely. His character seems as though he was raised by Clark Griswold, but he doesn't try to BE Clark Griswold.

The kids are funny, Christina Applegate is perfect as the bored mom and Chris Hemsworth does an awful Texas accent but remains entertaining. I enjoyed it.

7. DanOregon

Outside of Home Alone, I don't know if any John Hughes movie had a sequel. It would have been great had he done a high school reunion movie cast with Ringwald, Hall, Nelson, Sheedy, Cryer, Estevez, McCarthy, Spader, Broderick and Grey playing characters a little like those they did in the movies.

I'm kind of surprised to realize for the first time that Hughes had nothing to do with St. Elmo's Fire.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

With the near-constant talk of where the lead characters (especially Ferris) were going to end up in life, I'm surprised a sequel to "Bueller" never came off. (Well ... Yet.)

To me, the very point of "Translation" was that Bob and Charlotte were never going to see each other again -- all they would remember would be their three unspoiled days together.

He'd never see her as an airheaded twentysomething jumping out of a pointless marriage and she'd never see him as a bored and lazy has-been looking to trade down to a bouncy-babe midlife-crisis jumpoff.

In a sequel, they'd have time to think about that stuff, and the magic of those original three days would disappear.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    SFIND likes this.
  10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

From what I understand, DeNiro couldn't stand Grodin and that's why they never made a sequel. Was tailor-made to see what becomes of the Duke on the run as Jimmy prepares to go to trial -- or later, after he's in jail -- and Jack telling all his coffee shop customers, "I got two words for you: Shut the fuck up."

EStreetJoe and Joe Williams like this.
  11. DanOregon

It's funny - common perception is that Midnight Run tanked. And it did on it's opening weekend grossing just $5 mil. The crazy thing is it went on to make more than $75 million more domestic and internationally against a $35 million budget.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I dispute the notion that 'The Rock,' 'Con Air' and 'Face/Off' are awesome, classics or rewatchable.

Draft saved Draft deleted