1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy Baseball 2016

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, you have to keep adding $5 to the price if you want to keep guys from year to year, which is why Scherzer becomes a trade consideration. Two years from now, he's $49 and eating up a quarter of my budget, which just isn't smart. If there was no salary cap involved, I don't think I'd give it a second thought. Velaszquez is still only 23, which is what intrigues me. Quintana, I don't think, will be any better than he is now. But he's at least a capable rotation guy, even if he regresses back to his usual form. Pollock could be a steal, or he could be a bust. I think both sides end up taking on some risk in the deal, which is the way it's supposed to work, I suppose.

bigpern23 likes this.
  2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Francisco Liriano is an asshole. Might be time to dump him.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

What do you all think? Going forward, who is a less bad bet, shields or Shelby Miller?

4. bigpern23

Why roster either of them?

5. bigpern23

Last week, I traded Cespedes, Chapman, Lucroy and Moss for Harvey, Stanton, Herrera and Glasnow. I was at the bottom of my league, so I figured things couldn't get any worse. I figure Harvey has too much talent to continue sucking all season and beyond (he's a good keeper - 19th rounder next year) and I'm hoping Glasnow gets the call sooner than later and proves to be a solid keeper as well.

If Stanton normalizes his stats a bit, it means there's a monster streak coming soon (and it may have already begun with a .600 SLG in the last 11 games), which could either help me pull out of this tailspin or give me some trade bait. I've already had two inquiries for him.

After a 12-1-1 win last week, I'm nine games out of a playoff spot. We only get to keep five players, so I have about six weeks to figure out if I can contend or if I should solidify my keepers with another trade or two.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Deep, deep league. Have miller, shields is available.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I guess Jason Hammel realized it was nearly mid-season, so it's time to suck again. Dammit.

8. bigpern23

He burned me last year. One guy in my league offered him to me in a trade, but fortunately I learned my lesson.

9. bigpern23

Gattis has been solid for me at C, but he's cooled down a bit of late and D'Arnaud is available and getting hot. Going to dump Gattis, I think, after the games begin at 1:05 and transactions for next week are allowed. When healthy, I think D'Arnaud is more dangerous. Just hope he can stay healthy.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Hammel is useful, but you have to bail at the right time. Unfortunately, I did not.

11. bigpern23

Is Carlos Gonzalez done, or should I hang onto him and hope he turns it around in the second half? He's been decent since the start of June, ranked 272 in Yahoo! over the last 30 days with a .386 OBP, 4 HRs, and 15 RBI, but he's not been spectacular. I'm wondering if there's a major hot streak in him, or if it's time to cut bait.

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Are you mixing up your Carlos's? Since June 1st, Gomez has 4 HR with 15 RBI and a .345 OBP, but Gonzalez has 8 HR with 28 RBI and a .386 OBP.

I dropped Gomez today to make room for Soria.

Draft saved Draft deleted