1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This Bud's, er, America's for you

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, May 10, 2016.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

They both have rice. The difference between the beers isn't the grain bill, but in fermentation and watering down the beer.

Cosmo likes this.
  2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

4. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

"Apple" made in China

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Pstriotism is back in style.

#Trump'sAmerica

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So Coke is now "free." Cool.

I wouldn't mind commercial uses of patriotism so much if companies actually donated X amount to the USO or a veterans foundation. It's always kind of bugged me how much sports gloms onto the military - the sports are able to sell that their games are "important," while people forget for a few hours that the able-bodied athletes performing in front of them are making hundreds of thousands of dollars while some grunt is risking their life to live inches above the poverty line.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dan, as we learned last fall, the NFL is paid by the services for much of this as recruiting promotion. I bet it's the same with NASCAR. Why MLB thinks that camo trim on uniforms honors the country's fallen escapes me to a point a find offensive.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Every time I hear that song I fear my eyes will roll clean out of their sockets. But it does say right on the can "Coca Cola supports the USO."

HanSenSE and Inky_Wretch like this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

See also pink trim on Mother's Day, which, thank goodness, pales in comparison to the NFL.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Not too impressed with the "support" - they're just using the cans (and ads) to tell people to send e-mails to the USO. Hell, if I were Pepsi I'd cut the USO a $5 million check no strings attached.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'll tell you, IMO there's no better charity than the USO. Those sonsofbitches are everywhere, and I am ALWAYS glad to see them, because I'm usually tired or in a shitty spot.

dixiehack and YankeeFan like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted