1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Pro Football Hall of Fame Ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 16, 2015.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Good post as usual.
    It will be interesting to see how many players from the Patriots quasi-dynasty get in.

And Dan, great question- Sterling Sharpe, Steve Atwater and Alex Karras are the first names I think of.
    Omissions because of the absurd "rings" argument.

Plop, contribute something or take a hike. Your little antennae went up when you saw Steelerz being discussed and naturally you came in for a Sunday afternoon (t)roll.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Those Patriots will have Brady, Vinatieri, Wilfork and Law. They only others that have a chance are Harrison and Seymour.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Troy Aikman is the first one that pops to mind. His career passing numbers are pretty average by HOF standards, but combined with three Super Bowl rings they're good enough.
    Carl Banks (Giants LB from their great 1980s teams) is probably another one. Took him forever to make it in as it was.
    As others have noted, there's probably 20 Steelers, Dolphins, Cowboys and Packers front he 1960s and 70s that have gotten in because of the team they played on and not necessarily what they did on their own.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Belichick, too, of course.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I almost think the SB rings thing produces a bigger bump by getting people TV gigs.

How many people doing TV have SB rings and aren't in the Hall of Fame?

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Carl Banks is in the Hall of Fame? Harry Carson I think you meant. As much as a Giants fan as I am, huge. The best. Everyone says so. Strahan just never did it for me. Very good and great times, but never the best IMHO.

THe Giants have 4 Super Bowl titles and 5 appearances. Only LT, Carson, Strahan are in as players, Parcells as a coach. It's arguable that if he retired after the Giants he would have made it anyway but it's for his body of work. Eli Manning and Coughlin are probable HOFers, but not nearly consensus picks. Tiki Barber should be as one of the most versatile backs in history, 10,ooo career rushing yards and 5,000 career receiving yards. But no other Giants seem to be on the HOF track. That's a lot of rings without HOFers.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You're right. Meant Carson, not Banks.
    Same point with him, though. Very good and probably underrated player who got lifted up a level or two because of who he played for. The fact those Giants teams are a little underrepresented probably helped his case, too. Lawrence Taylor and Bill Parcells are the only ones in, and probably the only ones getting in unless Phil Simms gets some love from the senior committee.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Moss

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I've already moved on from kicking your ass, fart. Your point regarding Stallworth was flawed no matter how many personal attacks you launch at me. You should do the same.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I wonder if the injury that ended his 1990 season will end up costing Simms the Hall of Fame. If he doesn't get hurt and gets a second ring as a starting quarterback, maybe that gets him in.

Batman and heyabbott like this.
  11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I think Bob Kraft will be inducted. I don't like it or agree with it but it will probably happen.
    Still stumped why the '90s Vikings produced a slew of Hall of Famers.
    They usually didn't even get out of the first round.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I was only going by players as part of the mini-dynasty of 2001 to 2004 since we were talking about clusters of Hall of Famers off Super Bowl winners.

Draft saved Draft deleted