1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gutter, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

PBR parody shirts abound, and more blatant than this one. WWE is taking the path of least resistance, but unless they're selling beers with that logo in Park Slope, I think they would have been fine. Could they rejigger it to look like a Budweiser parody in time?

2. Mystery Meat II

AND training to be a Starbucks barista!

Tony Schiavone, from pro wrestling to baseball, to Starbucks?

THIS IS THE GREATEST GREEN TEA LATTE IN THE HISTORY OF OUR STORE!

Batman likes this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

JimmyHoward33 and Batman like this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

On a side note, I wonder if the PBR tweeter will get in trouble for that middle finger emoticon?

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Batman and Baron Scicluna like this.
  6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think it's one thing to allow the shitty softball league to use your image, but it's another to let a billion-dollar valued company use it without some sort of licensing fee or deal. I'm kind of surprised WWE didn't do that, since I'm sure PBR would have been on board. And it's not like WWE is unaware of copyright and trademark issues, since they usually make wrestlers get new names they created solely for that reason.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

"Huh. Maybe you would've had more time to serve me if you didn't spend the first hour of your shift talking about the new, overaggressive assistant manager and shooting off fireworks in the parking lot to celebrate your arrival to work."

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

It's still one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in my 30+ years of watching wrestling, and it happened more than once. Counting down and shooting off fireworks to celebrate the second hour of a TV show, even if it was during the middle of a match.

I can't help but imagine the people who were at those arenas must have been wondering "WTF are fireworks going off now? Is the pyro guy drunk?"

Batman likes this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's OK. He'll serve you a premium drink for free tomorrow night.

(So many possible responses to this one, it's hard to limit myself to just one) :)

10. Mystery Meat II

He had a more blatant knockoff of the John Deere logo and I don't remember any mess over that. I guess it's possible that they cleared it or something, but still, it's parody and not an obvious attempt to confuse consumers. Especially since the logo's in a different shape with different colors. You can tell the influence, but it's not like they just subbed out Pabst for Cena.

11. Baron Scicluna

He also had a knockoff of the Boston Celtics logo. Usually NBA teams are pretty protective of their trademarks, but I also don't remember any mess.

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

"I'll be back in about 20 minutes. I gotta see the new Robin Hood TV show!"

Batman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted