1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Well, good night for the new guys. White Sox are fiddling with the rotation to get Sale on the mound Sunday facing the possibility of leaving Kansas City behind the Royals in the standings.

Alas, the Brazilian Ted Williams saw his average dip to .390, but his hit streak is at 10 games now.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Brazilian Ted Williams is the best nickname since the Mickey Mantle of Millville.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Yes a very good night for the new guys and I'm still shocked they won. I headed for bed at 5-2 and then our son woke me up in time for Hosmer's opposite field single to go ahead 6-5. Similar to my mom waking me up after Dane Iorg's hit in 1985. :)

Perhaps Merrifield could be Zobrist lite, Cuthbert doesn't have enough power but he isn't hitting in Kendrysville.

Where the shock comes in is having to see three rookie starters in the same lineup at the same time. Yet it's been a while since the Royals have had to play multiple truly new players at the positions. These guys aren't like Hosmer was five years ago when called up - young and rushed. The rookies are mid- to late-20s and have been hitting well in Omaha.

The fact that they're replacing Moose (.240), Gordon (.220) and Morales (under .200) makes me look at the long term. Perhaps they are the replacements. If two of the three stick, I'll be very happy.

The Gordon contract will be the black hole for the next four years and I just hope this will be the only major overspend. Moose is a career .240 hitter. I'd rather spend whatever to try and keep Hosmer. (I say "try" as I expect him to go big market. He has the skills and the leadership personality where he will command a premium -- I see him as the prototype for how a star athlete handles himself. Confident in his skills, emotional but not crossing the line into being an ass.).

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Royals fans (me included) wanted so so bad for Alex Gordon to be the next George Brett when he first came up. I don't have a problem with Moore overspending to get him. I just enjoy that we're talking about the Royals overspending, and not throwing Gil Meche's name in the conversation.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Sometimes paying for past performance is OK. And keeping alive the afterglow of the last two years is definitely one of those times.

The Giants shouldn't have brought Lincecum back any time after 2012, but I'm glad they did.

6. Jake_Taylor

I don't think there is any doubt that when Gordon gets healthy he will eventually stop slumping at the plate and even though Orlando is going to break George Brett's team record for single season batting average, he's not Gordon in the field.

I think Moose would have been fine, but Cuthbert is fine too. The thing missing without Moustakas and Morales is their pop, but maybe Eibner gives them some of that.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  8. Jake_Taylor

I mean, does it really matter of your veteran stars all get hurt when you have the likes of Drew Butera, Whit Merrifield and Brett Eibner?

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

7 in the 9th?.......
    Good Heavens.

10. Jake_Taylor

Komeback
    Crew

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Just sitting down to the DVR of the 9th after being out all day coaching baseball.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

As a Phillies fan who lived through Ryan Howard's contract extension, I wish I could say the same.

Draft saved Draft deleted