1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm gone, Leather - ESPN'S Berman retiring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, May 26, 2016.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

For easily 10 years, I've wondered who in the world still finds him palatable enough so that he stays on ESPN's main stage. I even performed the lame-ass peer review with my friends - not unlike Michael Wilbon asking the barbershop if anybody was into analytics. I found that NONE of my friends could even stand him.

I guess I was just searching under the wrong rocks. That there are people here who tolerate him - even embrace him - in 2016, stupefies me.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

No support. I am separating 1987 Berman from 2012 Berman.
    And who the fuck knows, maybe I changed and he never did.
    But Alma is right, his general mirth was gone at some point.
    He became grouchy and preachy even on air, which he never was in the early days.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Yep. I was here the whole time, poin.

I even find the leather story oddly endearing.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'd like to couple Alma's post in the wagering with "Nobody circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills."

I think it really started to come apart when he started doing play-by-play on baseball. You can use "back, back, back" and his other pet phrases so many times before they get old. Driving back from an assignment one night we had a playoff game on the radio he was announcing, and after half an inning, my carmate said "Listen to how full of himself he is." And he was right.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Julio "Won't you take me on a sea" Cruz?

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Promise I didn't cheat, but wasn't it John "Tonight Let It Be" Lowenstein?

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The more obscure the player - the better the nickname:
    • Scott Supercalifragilisticexpiala Brosius
    • Carlos One if by Land, Two if Baerga
    • Bernard Innocent Until Proven Gilkey
    • Chris One Bad Ma’afalla
    • Brook Jacoby Wan Kenobi
    • Eric Sleeping with Bienemy
    • Lance You Sunk My Blankenship
    • Todd Which Hand Does He Frohwirth

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Definitely some obscure ones, but some well known at the time. Baerga was a hell of a player for about four years in the early 90s.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Had to check, and no mention of Frank "101 Strings" Viola.

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I was covering a Dodgers game once and was lurking around the cage during batting practice. There were always some older Hispanic gentlemen down there, chatting with the players they knew from Mexico or the Dominican. Here comes Berman. One of the Hispanic guys sees him, introduces himself and they shake hands. He turns to his friend and starts talking in Spanish. He pointed to Berman and starts going "Bock bock bock bock" and flapping his elbows like he's doing the Chicken Dance. Berman breaks in, "No, it's back back back, not bock bock bock."

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Berman received a Super Bowl ring from the 49ers in the '90s. That was around the time he should have just gone and fucked off for good.

Draft saved Draft deleted