1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HBO's True Detective

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Lt.Drebin

Lt.Drebin Active Member

There were eight seasons of Curb, and like 80 episodes. Actually, you can watch quite a few 5-8 minute clips of Curb on YouTube. That might he your best route there, just for pure humorous entertainment.
    I can see how you might've felt underwhelmed by early episodes of Sopranos, Reacher. It got way better after Season 1. If you like mob movies like Goodfellas, I'm confident you'd love it. There's just so many memorable death scenes. At least watch the "Pine Barrens" episode, or YouTube the scene where Tony chops "Joey Pants'" head off after a dispute over a racehorse, and then they laugh after discovering he had been wearing a wig all along...

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I'm surprised there isn't a lot of love here for Silicon Valley. Maybe it's just me, but I find that show hilarious, definitely as funny as Veep. It has some of the best writing I've seen in a comedy in a long time.

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I watched the first season of SV. It was fine, but not nearly enough to keep me watching. I find Veep a million times funnier than SV. I do think SV is wildly popular, though, right?

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I love both SV and Veep. Funniest hour of the week by far.

5. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I really, really like both Silicon Valley and Veep. I like Veep better, probably my favorite comedy right now, but Silicon Valley has some gems in there. To me you may have to pay a little more attention to it to notice them but they are there, which sometimes makes them all the better. I actually think both shows are on a similar level in terms of quality and humor.

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Because my dial goes to 11:

1. Game of Thrones
    2. Curb Your Enthsiasm
    3. The Leftovers
    4. Veep
    5. The Wire
    6. Deadwood
    7. The Larry Sanders Show
    8. The Sopranos
    9. Silicon Valley
    10. Boardwalk Empire
    11. Oz

I can't include True Detective because that second season was meh at best.

(Didn't consider "reality" TV, if I did these would be in the running: Last Week Tonight, Real Sports, Hard Knocks, Project Greenlight)

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Pine Barrens is overrated as an episode.

/ducking

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I have never watched an episode of 'Larry Sanders.' I need to watch that.
    I gave up on 'Veep' a while ago, but I liked 'Silicon Valley.' I liked it, but didn't care much, either. I was watching it because it was on.
    We cut all premium channels right before the season started and I have not missed it.
    Same with GoT. Do not miss it at all. In fact, that was one I was really only watching because it was on. I wasn't enjoying it much at all.

I watched first season of 'Deadwood,' but didn't think much of it.

But I loved 'The Wire.' Didn't watch it when it was on. We went back a year or two ago and watched it. That was a great show.

I loved 'Curb,' but 'Rome' is still the best.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Maybe he's been told to "get along" or get lost? That, or the reaction to S2 might have humbled him, and he's ready to collaborate a bit more eagerly.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I thought Season One was wildly overrated. Good show, but man, you'd think it reinvented television or something. Didn't watch season 2, though I've been meaning to.

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I agree. Everybody got so wrapped up in McConaughey and Harrelson they didn't notice the crime story kind of sucked. The ending was terrible.

Draft saved Draft deleted