1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gutter, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I knew the anniversary was coming up, but I couldn't remember which day it was.

One of the more shocking days in wrestling history, and one that really couldn't be duplicated nowadays. Today, someone would have spoiled his presence in the building, or there would have been considerable news about how his and Nash's contracts were up (besides Meltzer's reporting). But back then, the Internet was in its infancy, so there wasn't much news or spoilers, you had two companies at each other's throats and there was still believability that this guy from another company was crashing the show unscripted.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think they could still keep it secret if they tried hard enough. But the bigger issue to me would be the lack of a strong competitor for the WWE. Like Styles and Nakamura were THE guys for New Japan, and while they got a good response when they debuted, it wasn't anything close to the NWO stuff, obviously.

3. sgreenwell

Also, still awesome is this clip. And in hindsight, you hear Heenan almost spoil the whole angle by going, "Who's side is he on?!?!" twice! Because famously, they didn't tell the broadcasting team of their important angles ahead of time.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I was just thinking: Is there anyone currently under contract anywhere else who could realistically "invade" WWE and move the needle even a fraction of as much as Hall and Nash did?

I can't even think of anyone remotely their caliber who's not already in WWE. The one huge exception is CM Punk, but he wouldn't do an NWO-like angle.

5. Baron Scicluna

Punk wouldn't be able to make it an invasion-like angle, where it would look like he came in unscripted. A surprise entrance would be really huge.

One thing the E has been doing lately, to try to keep surprises under wraps, is keep the wrestler in a bus for the entire show until it's time for his entrance. Literally, the guy goes from the bus in the parking lot to the ring.

6. sgreenwell

ha, Yeah - That's what they did with one of Jericho's returns, I believe. And Punk would be my answer for "biggest pop" or outsider faction. Heck, you could have him return as the leader of a wrestling-focused group, along with Cody Rhodes, with Daniel Bryan as a manager. #smarkwetdream

7. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

It's time for the semi-annual Let's Put Out New Cena Gear To Sell To Kids!

For his triumphant return, his new gear looks like a can of PBR. Dress your 9-year-old up in that, parents, and let them realize it when they hit 16 and start trying to score skunky beer to impress their peers. I fucking love this.

[​IMG]

jpetrie18 likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

I always liked his AWA tribute one, and his early Atari video game tribute one.

9. jpetrie18

jpetrie18 Member

This MUST be purchased. I know a place or two in our town where it's perfect.

10. Baron Scicluna

11. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I've still got the video game shirt, the only Cena product I could bring myself to part money with.

Wonder if PBR (Pabst, not Professional Bull Riding) is using the threat of a C&D as a work.

And, for Cena to return on Memorial Day, the other day on the US calendar to have Red-White-Blue on EVERYTHING.... And a PBR rip off is what they do. Love it love it LOVE IT!

12. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

WWE put out a statement saying that while it feels it's a fair parody, they've yanked the Cena/PBR shirts.

Draft saved Draft deleted