1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm gone, Leather - ESPN'S Berman retiring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, May 26, 2016.

1. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Always on the newsroom TV hovering above us, ESPN provided endless laughs at my first full-time gig (2003-2005).
    The network's antics -- the "he got JACKED UP" highlight reels, the Salisbury/John Clayton debates, Tom Berenger playing Bear Bryant -- were going over the top fast, and Berman followed suit. He had a habit my boss called "parachuting," as in appearing at events he never did regularly.
    We had the U.S. Open on one June and it didn't take long to figure out ("Ground control to David Toms!") who was in the booth.

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

And the first Berman nickname was? No going to Wikipedia ....

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It must have been tough in the late 80s-early 90s (and still today, perhaps more so) for ESPN personalities to realize just putting on a professional broadcast might not be enough. That bombast and crafting a wacky persona was the best way to get noticed (and rewarded).

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Jesus christ, you guys are giving this corpulent bloviator WAY more credit than he deserves.

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

You'd think he was Brad Pitt the way some of these teenage girls are gushing over him.

Riptide likes this.
  6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I want to say it was Kirby "Union Gap" Puckett.....but I don't think that's right.......

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

For the life of me, I am still trying to remember who coined the phrase the "Carolina Whaler-Canes".....I can't remember if it was Berman or not......

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And lest we forget: The NFC Norris.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

"Funky Cold" Medinah.

I've always been a fan, even in the backlash years. The campiness works for me.

As others have said, nice guy, and actually a bright guy.

I'll enjoy the nostalgia of the farewell tour.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I was surprised how old and tired he looked the last time I bothered to watch ESPN's pregame show.
    I recognize his contributions and his Rozelle Award in Canton was earned, but he should have shuffled off the stage five or 10 years ago.

Alma likes this.
  11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

It seemed like he leaned into the criticism. The more people disliked his schtick, the more he relied upon it. It's totally perception, but evidence of how grating he became.

Alma likes this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

At some point - I don't know when exactly, but let's say the last 10 years - Berman became something close to the to a bot, a collection of sayings and noises that I was always afraid would get stuck on Da Raiders Da Raiders Da Raiders Da Raiders for several minutes while they reset him. I don't know what exactly it was about the guy. A low hum of depression? Low T? I dunno. It became unbearable, though. I found myself watching humorless ass Mike Mayock on NFL Draft night. Mayock would manage to find fault with Marisa Tomei, but he and Eisen are better than Berman and his crew.

ESPN editorial side is hitting some high make. The TV side, not so much. It's been a rough 10 years.

Stoney, HanSenSE and poindexter like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted