1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Don't also forget. Yankees had some (what they considered) strong prospects at catcher in the minors in the past few years.

Sanchez is still one of their top prospects. Romine was seen as excellent in the field and was to have a developing bat, although he hasn't developed as much as they'd like. They had Montero, who had a whole bunch of potential with the bat and, although they knew he would suck behind the plate, had hoped he would at least become mediocre there. He just ended up not panning out after the trade to the Mariners.

So, when it was time for Cervelli to leave, the Yankees figured they had plenty of other guys to fill his spot, so they didn't bother re-signing him.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

If elite = top 15 in the majors Cervelli is elite.

3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Exhale, Joe DiMaggio. Jackie Bradley Jr.'s hitting streak ends at 29.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Sheeeeeeeyit, even Dan Uggla did better than that.

5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Uggla's hitting streak is maybe the greatest what the fuck baseball event of this century. Or all-time.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Dan Uggla.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Perhaps this makes me a bad Royals fan but I am actually looking forward to seeing what the new guys - Eibner, Cuthbert and Merrifield - can do for a few weeks.

As good as Moustakas has been since about, oh, September 2014, I do think his track record points to a guy much more likely to hit .212 (2014 average) than the .284 he hit last year. I just don't think he's in the class of Hosmer for when it comes to a $100+ million deal for his next contract. Even though Cain is pushing 31, I'd rather sign him long-term than Moustakas.

Moose is good but he's not great. I was very hesitant on the Alex Gordon 4 year, $72 million deal because he strikes out too much and, yes, gets hurt too often. Gordon has a knack for clutch hits (Game 7 WS 2014, Game 1 WS 2015) but he's getting older, slower and I can't see him developing into a high-contact hitter at this stage.

As the price of decent-to-good starting pitching keeps going up, teams like the Royals are going to have to be more careful about spending on position players. I'm all for them shelling out on Hosmer, Perez and Cain. The others? If Cuthbert hits .280 this year with some balls that go into the gap, I'd sign him long term and let Moustakas walk.

Same with Eibner -- if his production is at Gordon's, the only step is to encourage an Adam LaRoche situation so that he gets fed up and retires.

The Royals would be wise to take the Belichick approach here. Let guys go a year early rather than a year too late. Or, in Gordon's case, two years too late by the time 2018 gets here.

9. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

@exmediahack is not one to seek a Charlie Hustle brand GordoNation t-shirt, I surmise? #kcsj #Jake_TaylorOwesMeSomeLikes

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    Jake_Taylor likes this.
  10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Little dusty in here.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

James Earl Jones does it better. Cool video, though.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The Dodgers suck. Such a boring, inspiring team.

Draft saved Draft deleted