1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter wanted | Aberdeen, South Dakota

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by SFIND, May 26, 2016.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports reporter wanted

Description:

The American News, an award-winning daily newspaper in Aberdeen, South Dakota, has an immediate opening for a reporter to cover college, high school and community sports.

Here’s what you need:

• Be self-motivated and willing to work a flexible schedule that includes nights and weekends.
    • Willingness to connect with readers through social media.
    • 3-5 years of sports reporting experience and four-year degree in journalism preferred.
    • 3-5 clips, which include examples of multimedia/audio/video work.
    • Experienced in investigative reporting on a sports beat and desire to break news.
    • Able to meet tight deadlines and travel when needed.
    • Ability to think beyond the page or website in order to deliver a great product.

Here’s what you get:

• Be a part of a five-person team that won its first three APSE awards in 2015 and is continuing to improve.
    • A digital-first environment that allows you to showcase your work on a variety of platforms.
    • The chance to cover non-traditional sports and live in an area rich in outdoor activities.
    • Time to work on projects and explore new forms of journalism.
    Apply online by following this link: Career Opportunities - Schurz Communications Inc.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

PM me if you want any details. I don't work here but I interviewed for the SE position last year. Emily Horos, the current SE, is on our board (infrequently) so she may see this too. :)

3. ejyankee

ejyankee New Member

I'm the SE. Ask if you have questions. I'm here frequently (just not vocal).

steveu likes this.
  4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Emily, you must have read my mind! :)

What she said. I will add my two cents: It's a great city. LOTS to do there.

5. ejyankee

ejyankee New Member

We've had a good group of applicants. If you are interested, I encourage you to apply now because we plan to move quickly.

6. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

What colleges do you guys cover? South Dakota State?

7. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Ice9, go to the paper's website. I believe it's Northern State in the NSIC is about the extent of the college coverage and Presentation College. Not the Jackrabbits. But Northern State has some nice sports teams.

ejyankee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted