1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Well because the Yankees sucked before they had Martin and sucked after he left.

2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Martin's been to the playoffs eight times. Just a matter of the right place at the right time, I suppose.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Playoffers playoff?

4. cjericho

In each of the last two years? So when he played 49 games with 146 at-bats in '14 that qualified? But I'm sure any team would pay a lot for his .381 career slugging percentage. That is elite.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Hey, I mean, 485 total bases in eight years is the stuff legends are built upon.

cjericho likes this.
  6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Oh, and don't forget his 17 career home runs!

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You are putting way too much focus on one statistical category. Cervelli is a nice player, but it's a hell of a stretch to call him elite. He has exactly one full season as a regular catcher in the majors and I'm not sure that even qualifies as an elite season.

When the Yankees let him go, he was 28 years old, coming off six seasons in which he had failed to earn a full-time job and he already had a 50-game suspension for PED use on his resume.

Though Martinez's comment was about Martin, who has been pretty lousy this season and I think it was you who pointed out that the Yankees were far from alone in thinking he was breaking down physically.Wasn't it you who pointed out that plenty of teams passed on Martin at the time. He got his shot in Pittsburgh because the Pirates rely on cheap reclamation projects to supplement their homegrown talent.

Also, you are giving Martin way too much credit for the recent turnarounds of the Pirates and Blue Jays.

bigpern23 likes this.
  8. cjericho

Martin was breaking down physically. Couple seasons ago, think before or after his 1st in Pitt, he said he used a new offseason program. Think it was lot of martial arts and he said it got him in best shape of his career.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Mike Moustakas torn ACL.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Is that from the collision in Chicago?

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I remember reading it was from a collision with Alex Gordon two days after Moustakas returned from the DL. Location, I do not know.

12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

We all knew KC used up its luck last year but this is getting ridiculous.

Draft saved Draft deleted