1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Survivor: Kaoh Rong

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The "mystery woman out of the crowd" was easily the strangest thing I have seen in a reunion show. Agreed that Cydney - among others - deserved a quick bit of screen time but at least there was no chat with Cochran. Can't see Michelle as a champ people will want to see again, can definitely see Tai, Aubry, Cydney and the heel team of Jason and Scott - coming back for an encore.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Agree on all points. Jason, in particular, I'd like to see again because he was the strangest combination of likable and total asshole I think I've ever seen on the show. He was good at persuading others and, if he can remember that he needs to persuade people, not order them around, he might have a shot if he comes back.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

This season was like NCAA basketball, Aubrey was the best player in the regular season but Michele came on strong in the tournament to win the title.

The reunion shows usually stink, and this was worse than usual. Would have liked to hear from Neil about being pulled from game then ousted from jury. I also like when they introduce everyone. I didn't remember who most of the back row was.

4. bigpern23

Pretty good analogy. Michele probably didn't deserve to win. She didn't make any moves, per se. She did a nice job going with the flow while she was at the bottom to keep her own neck off the block (agreeing to vote out Julia is about the biggest "move" she made). However, she won a couple challenges at the end and never pissed anyone off.

Aubry was more deserving, but Michelle's victory at least gave us a nice surprise at the end of the season.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There is something to be said for being on the bottom and winning the last few challenges. You can empathize with most on the jury (I'd be with you if I didn't win immunity the last two or three times) and odds are you didn't have much say when the jury members got bounced. I didn't think Tai or Aubrey did a good job at representing themselves at the final TC. Aubrey was on the outs almost from the jump and managed to survive. Her "game" was kind of forced upon her and she dealt with the medical evacs of two allies and Tai probably should have just said he tried to stay true to himself - after he too had an ally forced from the game.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Michelle did well. She won four challenges, right?
    But Aubry was the best player and deserved to win. I expected her to present a lot better at the jury.

Also, I did not see anything any mention of the seventh vote. Granted I was forwarding and skipping a lot, so maybe I just missed it.
    Neil getting kicked off the jury seemed like a non-issue because the votes are rarely close.
    However, I saw a 4-2 win for Michelle with no mention of the seventh vote. If that seventh vote was for Aubry, making it 4-3, then Michelle's decision to oust Neil was a great decision. Of course, she'd have gotten the same result with her first choice, Joe.
    Anyway, I'm assuming the seventh vote was for Michelle, which is why they didn't play it up.

At one point, Tai seemed unbeatable, but he wasn't able to capitalize on his advantages and flopped too much.

7. bigpern23

Yes, the last vote went to Michele. Survivor producers have acknowledged that they reorder the votes to maximize drama, so if it were 4-3, they would have shown it come down to the last vote. Voting off Neal instead of Joe was definitely the savvier decision, because Neal would have advocated for Aubry better than Joe would have. Not sure it made a difference, but it's possible Neal could have swayed other jurors.

I also thought Aubry would have performed better at final TC. I wonder if she came across as too analytical, too scripted. Michelle just seemed more genuine, I guess is the word, at final TC. I think Tai was at a disadvantage from both a language perspective and an emotional one. He doesn't handle confrontation very well, he gets too flustered, and I think the language plays into that a bit. It made it difficult for him to state his case well (and I think he had a strong case if he could have properly explained his flipping).

Circling back to who we may see again, I'd say Debbie is a near certainty, Jason has a good chance, Cydney could be back and possibly even Julia (she started building herself a decent resume until Aubry finally got her voted out). I'm also fairly certain we'll see Caleb again. I think he might have won if he hadn't been evacuated.

I don't love the setup for next season - Millennials vs. Gen Xers. My wife likes it, but I fear we're going to see a ton of confessional interviews with contestants spouting stupid generalities about "These kids today are so entitled" and "These old folks just don't get what it means to be free." Whenever they do these tribal divisions, such as Brains/Brawn/Beauty, contestants spend too much time talking about why it's great to be in the Brawn tribe, or "How could we have lost that puzzle challenge as the Brains tribe?!"

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I forgot abut Debbie, if nothing else for the unintentional comedy factor.

9. bigpern23

Oh yeah, she's totally bananas. Pretty entertaining in a Philip Sheppard kind of way.

10. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

And that brings up an idea. Why not a "Survivor: Totally Nuts" and have all the contestants like Debbie and Philip. I actually grew to like Debbie and wished her well.
    I agree Michelle was a lousy final but also agree that neither Tai or Aubrey made a strong argument in the end. Both had strong arguments to make.
    It was laughable to see Pollard's surprised look when Tai said Pollard and his buddy Macho Man Randy Savage were getting too powerful. In that episode, the two of them were lying in the tent talking about how they would have to vote Tai out just seconds before Tai was shown deciding to flip.
    This one and most of the recent ones have been more about feelings than about who played the best game. Juries used to respect game play. Now they just claim to.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Survivor: Dumb vs. Nuts

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Loser Survivor, first person voted out every season

Draft saved Draft deleted