1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Explain this to me like I'm a second-grader

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 29, 2016.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You dare dispute the board's resident IT genius? The guy who spends his working days dispensing such pearls of wisdom as "Unplug it, wait 30 seconds, then plug it back in and see if that takes care of it"?

YankeeFan and Vombatus like this.
  2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Even the IT guy uses email. Might use a ticketing system and IM to communicate with Roy and Moss, but he's using email to communicate with those outside the IT cave. And there would be plenty of emails.

3. doctorquant

Nah ... I'm sure those good folks in IT at the Department of State simply use hotmail or gmail accounts ...

4. RevPastor

RevPastor Member

That is correct. But like every other encryption, you need to be able to decrypt the message. The third party application that you would use for encryption would need to be the same application shared by the recipient. They'd also need the keys used to create encryption. The question is, how is that information passed? Unsecured text? Unsecured email? There's a lot of security flaws with it.

Ultimately, there isn't a full means by which an email can be encrypted with absolute certainty.

Is this where I call you a community college adjunct?

I know you don't understand the topic as it's over your head, but there are people that do. You want to mock me with some third grade insult? Be my guest. That doesn't make you correct nor does it negate the fact that I know more than you on this and, most likely, just about everything else on the planet given the crap you post on these boards....

You are assuming things based upon your own normal interactions. Email just isn't a primary means of communication.

The other factor in this is that nobody said he didn't send emails or that he didn't use email. What was stated was that there was no Microsoft Outlook backup file. That's vastly different than saying there are no emails.

I could easily see a scenario where he wouldn't use his State Department email address when communicating with Mrs. Clinton.

5. JohnHammond

FTFY

6. RevPastor

RevPastor Member

Yes and the difference is that I actually deal in the industry and know how it works.

Email interactions simply do not occur. IMs are used for quick transmission. Ticketing systems are used for client interaction.

And, again, I'll go back to the simple fact that the guy could have chosen to simply not use Microsoft Outlook for several years and go with a web based solution. The statement was that there did not exist a PST file. They didn't say there were no emails.

7. JohnHammond

Thanks for the explanation regarding how IT departments communicate. Never would have guessed that based on several years working in IT departments, or my interactions with IT in my current career. Good thing you're around to educate me.

8. doctorquant

On a non-GAAP basis I have no doubt that that is true.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

The blue font is throwing off my irony detection circuits.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

She's lied and failed to cooperate the entire time.

No wonder Bernie won't get out.

11. YankeeFan

12. YankeeFan

Draft saved Draft deleted