1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There were some newspapermen who were starting to question whether Gehrig was done after a poor spring training and his first few games.

Joe McCarthy also wanted to take him out, but didn't want to be seen as the bad guy, so he waited until Gehrig told him to take him out. He must have physically looked that bad.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Anything that keeps McCarver aaway from the FOX the airwaves is a good thing in my book.

With Verducci and Reynolds out, who will be in the booth with Buck this season? Has FOX announced anyone yet?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it's five pennants and 13 series (including wild-card as a series, otherwise 12).

Still not sure how that's owning the Dodgers, but anyhoo.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Anything, including lack of a partner, that spares the nation even one pitch of a Joe Buck called game is a Good Thing.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Still don't get the Joe Buck hate. He's pretty good.

6. bigpern23

He's pretty vanilla. I don't get the hate, either, because I just don't think his broadcasting evokes strong emotion one way or the other.

That said, his Super Bowl call of David Tyree's catch is one of the all-time most boring calls of an exciting play in history, while his call of Randy Moss's "mooning" is one of the all-time overreactions to a nothing play.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

After enduring a couple innings of the Giants-Padres last night with Eduardo Perez and Dallas Braden, I was ready to throw my margarita glass through the TV. My wife said, "What the hell are they smoking?" I think Perez has good points to make, but his voice is grating. Braden has too much of the crazy factor ingrained in him.

8. Songbird

Mazara 491 feet.

9. bigpern23

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Indians have the fewest losses in the AL Central.

11. Songbird

And the Mariners lead the West and the Phillies are 26-21.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Phils are my team and I'm very happy with the season to date. But since for them trailing by two runs is equivalent to a two-goal deficit in Italian soccer Serie A, I know the stretch where they go two-f0r-a month is coming up sometime.

Draft saved Draft deleted