1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daulerio says in Hogan trial he draws line at posting sex tape of 4 year old

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CD Boogie, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Keep your friends close and your enemies out of the courtroom.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I see a lot of dudes writing "Fuk Gawker" and still my timelines every day are loaded with Gawker garbage.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Maybe stop following @Gawker?

amraeder likes this.
  4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

It's not that simple, dipshit.
    Their articles are spread far and wide daily by their many disciples.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm aware. That was a joke. Cool.

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Gawker hires bank after takeover approaches - FT.com

There have been reports all day that Gawker has been engaged with bankers exploring being acquired.

Gawker just put out a statement (don't have a link), saying everyone should take a deep breath, they are always looking at contingency plans, especially in light of the "revenge campaign" being waged by Thiel. Or something to that effect.

As far as revenge takedowns go, this is one of the better ones you will ever see. Nick Denton will be worth a few hundred million dollars regardless when this all plays out, but Peter Thiel still managed to effectively cut him off at his knees. It just goes to show, as bulletproof as you think you are (and appear), there is always someone out there who will be able to effectively F with you if you put a bug up their ass.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The Westmoreland trial had the same effect on 60 Minutes, CBS was completely de-balled after that.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Yeah, people tend to get pissed by things like outing them as gay against their wishes.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You know how many people have been pissed at things that Gawker has done over the years?

None of them had the creativity and wherewithall to get even in a meaningful way, the way this has. It took someone who was really pissed, of course. But it also took someone who could afford to throw around $10 million dollars (or whatever he has put up) without much care. ... and on top of it, was creative enough to think to bankroll a defamation suit by Hulk Hogan, of all people. As I said, this is one of the better revenge take downs you will ever see publicly play out. Peter Thiel managed to really F with Nick Denton, and he's done it without dirtying himself in the process. He just remains a shadowy figure laughing his ass off somewhere in Silicon Valley. It's kind of a thing of beauty.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Which is why so many people are enjoying their costly comeuppance.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Thiel confirms (not that it needed much confirmation):

“It’s less about revenge and more about specific deterrence,” he said on Wednesday in his first interview since his identity was revealed. “I saw Gawker pioneer a unique and incredibly damaging way of getting attention by bullying people even when there was no connection with the public interest.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/26/b...aire-reveals-secret-war-with-gawker.html?_r=0

Story notes he is backing other lawsuits against Gawker as well.

12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

The damage that Daulerio did on the stand makes me wonder whether Thiel is paying him, too. That would make this the ultimate end-around. It's already up there.

Draft saved Draft deleted