1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose open-wheel (F1, IRL) racing thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by crimsonace, Feb 19, 2007.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

It'll be a pretty incredible story if he wins the whole thing. It's been awhile since a pole sitter won, though.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The "100th running" nonsense is beyond irritating at this point. P.T. Barnum had it right.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Come Indy 500 time, it's always fun to remember Ralph Mulford and his 10th-place finish at the 1912 Indy 500.

Ralph Mulford

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This is awesome. Had no idea the Indy 500 was the midwestern equivalent of the Preakness, combined with Talladega and an SEC football weekend.

Indy500Pics (@Indy500Pics) | Twitter

5. Dick Whitman

Oh, yeah. It's a party. Can't wait til Saturday.

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

And the crazy thing is it's nowhere near what it used to be.

My first memory of seeing a nekkid woman was in the Coke lot. I was 5 and we were walking back to our car after the race.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Marty Smith reading his speech off the back of his loose leaf papers is just a tiny bit low rent.

8. dixiehack

Whoever sang "Back Home Again in Indiana", I bet he doesn't get invited back to sing it next year.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Damn, how did that guy do it? Talk about pushing it to the limit.

10. Dick Whitman

That was fun. Everyone in the building, I think, was convinced he was going to run out of fuel. But he had a big enough lead by the last lap that he basically coasted in. Really thrilled to see Andretti go 1-2.

11. dixiehack

Ok Hoosier SJ, I've been bitten by the bug and would like to go in person sometime in the next 2-3 years. What kind of outlay would I be looking at for a decent seat (i.e. no Snake Pit) and an economy hotel within an hour of the track? Does such a thing exist, or would I have to spend the night in Louisville? How far in advance do I have to order? Should I sell a kidney now for parking?

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

You were missing the NSFW tag there. Gawd, some blinding stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted