1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's been a while since I've started a car thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, May 22, 2016.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Is it worth the $250 or so a week that I don't have to rent a car?

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

What does management think of your situation? Maybe it's time to check the "Getting out of the business" thread if you don't have any savings.

3. Smallpotatoes

No problems yet as best I can tell. I told them up front I have no rental coverage and that I'll get another car as soon as I can.
    I hope that's good enough because I have no other options.
    It's not good to have bad luck, I guess.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not saying you have to rent a car. Just saying that unless given permission otherwise, you may need to beg, borrow or steal to get around in the time being.

5. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Ace makes a good point. In the long run losing your job would prove more costly than
    a rental. Sorry that you are in the situation and hope it works out for you. It's sad
    that your company would not find a way to help you out as a valued employee. It
    really makes you wonder about people.

6. Smallpotatoes

The last two days, I took the the commuter rail to cover games. It was sort of expensive, especially today when I mistakenly gave the conductor the wrong ticket on the way there and only had the ticket he punched on the way back so I had no choice but to suck it up and pay another $8.50.

7. Smallpotatoes

I signed and sent paperwork back to the insurance company, allowing them to pay the bank and take the car. I also faxed stuff to the gap insurance company. They now need a copy of the check the insurance company is sending the bank and the evaluation report.
    Do I have to wait until everything is done before I get another car and transfer the registration or could I go ahead and do that?

8. JohnHammond

No one is stopping you from buying a car. I'm guessing the problem is how are you going to come up with a down payment. Next time around, see if your current car insurance company offers gap insurance. You don't need the one from the "Buy Here, Pay Here" dealer.

9. Smallpotatoes

I do have gap insurance.

10. JohnHammond

I know. Get it through your current insurance company for your next car. You don't need it to buy it through the dealer.

11. Smallpotatoes

I asked my agent why I didn't have rental reimbursement since I never said I didn't want it and don't remember anyone asking if I wanted it. The agent said he assumed I didn't want it.

I don't have much to put down and obviously nothing to trade, but I do need something very soon. It still might turn out better than when I had to roll the balance of the Neon's loan into this last car.

It's funny. I had no problems with the Toyota. I had it for 3 1/2 years. I thought I was going to be able to keep it for a while and get out of this cycle of needing another car every few years. I guess that just wasn't meant to be.

The last time I had a car totaled (about 11 years ago when a pickup truck t-boned my car in a parking lot, caving in the whole passenger side) I was worried about being able to get another car, I didn't have anything saved. My boss suggested I contact our EAP since they do financial counseling. I called. The guy wasn't familiar with the nature of my work and asked if I could use public transportation. He suggested figuring out a way to save. His idea, while very good, would have taken months. I needed a solution within days or at most, weeks. His idea would have required me to find another job.

Sometimes I wonder if that would have been the best thing for me to do. It also revealed a fault of mine. I tend to be a short-term thinker. When I have a problem, all I can think about is that I'm in a jam now and want to get out of it now as painlessly as possible. Maybe that just sets me up for more problems in the long term.

It's a little late in life for me now, but maybe it's time I take a look at getting out and finding something that doesn't require a car, if such a job exists.

12. Smallpotatoes

The gap coverage company still needs the a copy of the check and the evaluation report. On Wednesday, I left a message with the claims adjuster asking for those documents. I never heard back from him. I called today and he was out for the day.
    Is this some sort of "Don't call us; we'll call you" kind of thing?
    I remember several years ago calling the claims department to see what was going on with my claim after not hearing from them for a while. The person who took my call seemed very annoyed that I called, as if I had violated some sort of unwritten rule of ettiquitte. I'm sure they have these rules for a good reason but I really don't care. Me making sure I'm not on the hook for $1,100 is a tad more important than whatever rules they have.

Draft saved Draft deleted