1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do teen-age and young men listen to nowadays?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, May 19, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I saw the Stones last year on the Fourth of July at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. There were 50,000-60,000 people there. It was spectacular, and I assume that it will go down as a touchtone cultural event in the history of that city. Now, granted, we aren't talking about Paris here. But the fact that more than 50 years after they started playing together, that can happen, is pretty remarkable. I always laugh at an old editorial cartoon someone dug up from the '90s that showed the Stones as a bunch of skeletons playing together. I think Ronnie Wood was 49 at the time.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I saw them at Cyclone Stadium in Ames in '94 (maybe '95). Awful show.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It's called "old school" and it already exists.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  4. Songbird

bigpern23 likes this.
  5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Love them both, but guess I'm the 1 then.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Yes, it will definitely be around. You mention jazz and big band, but go back even further to the music of Beethoven, Bach, Mozart. Would they have thought their music would be played hundreds of year later.

The 60s - 80s Classic rock will definitely exist far, far into the future, maybe with smaller audiences or more limited range of songs that remain familiar as standards.

Hey, hey, my, my....

TowelWaver and Songbird like this.
  7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Why the hell does Klosterman ignore mid-70s and 80s rock? The name Springsteen does not appear in that article at all.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Nor should it, any more than Cobain or Joey Ramone or David Bowie. I love all those artists as much as the next rock geek. But the artist that he's trying to pinpoint would almost certainly emerge from the '60s or early '70s, when it was still an emergent form.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Because we have willingly, as a society, refused to acknowledge a difference between art and entertainment, between high culture and popular culture.
    Every entertainer is now an artist. Every person pursuing any form of creative endeavor is now an artist.
    That is why the overwhelming majority of what is currently considered art will not endure.
    The vast majority of art through the ages does not endure, and popular entertainment is even less enduring.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Springsteen will certainly be noted as the longest-reigning mantle-bearer of the "Heartland American country/blues singer/songwriter" genre, a line which traced from Hank Williams to Buddy Holly to Bob Dylan to John Fogerty to Bruce and a number of imitators since.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My 18 year old is a guitarist and a hard rock guy. Metallica, Megadeth, G 'n' R, AC/DC, Hendrix, Van Halen, Buckethead, etc. Never had any interest in hip hop.

His new favorite? Kendrick Lamar. Go figure.

12. Songbird

Draft saved Draft deleted