1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clothes thread?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wicked, May 16, 2016.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have a suit for weddings and deaths, some old sports jackets (like from long-ago Manhattan tailors) and I dunno, 10-12 dress shirts. Also black loafers and brown loafers. Enough ties to match. That's it. I was a sportswriter and I didn't have to dress up. Then I worked from home and ditto. Now I'm retired and if I'm wearing socks it's winter.
    My son, on the other hand, would be all over this thread. He went to Southeast Asia last year to get suits made. Once a year a Hong Kong tailor flies into Boston, sets up shop in a fancy hotel, and does measurements while clients look at materials, discuss cuts, etc. Months later the suits get mailed to my house and my son picks them up. It's actually cheaper than going to Brooks Bros. or the other top line men's stores, but of course the sensation of wretched excess is part of the thrill,

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Your son chose his career wisely, to be able to spring for that.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm glad I've never had one of those drone jobs where you sit in a cubicle and are required to wear a suit to work every day even though your company doesn't pay you enough to do it well. I'd hate being another guy in a cheap, ill-fitting suit with rubber-soled dress shoes.

So the only clothes I spend any real money on are dress clothes. I don't have a closet full because I just don't have occasion to dress up very often, but the dress clothes I have (3-4 suits and 6-8 shirts) are nice and I give some thought to selection. I also stick with classic/conservative styles so as not fall into the trap of buying new clothes every freaking season.

Like Frank Ridgeway, I love getting my ties at thrift stores where you can usually find a nice Brooks Bros. tie for $5 - $10. I wore a thrift store tie to his funeral.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

i've stopped wearing a tie to work or with suits or a sport coat. Ties are dumb and largely uncomfortable and I frankly think guys look better without them. Or at least I feel like I look better without them, and that's all clothes should be about, making you feel good about how you look. I have a few ties stowed in my desk, but I can't remember the last time I wore one. most of the men i work with wear them, like 80-90 percent, every day.

JackReacher likes this.
  5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I hate the suit-with-no-tie look.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Hate is a strong word. Why exactly do you hate it?

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

What about tuxedo T-shirts?

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm OK with it because of my disdain for ties. Suits serve a purpose; ties don't.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I spent about $100 on clothes last year. Two pairs of Dockers, two pairs of Wranglers. Got a couple sweatshirts and tees as gifts.

I get branded work shirts/outer wear from my jobs, and have about six pairs of dress slacks. I have one dress shirt, and one sport coat. Haven't worn a tie in more than 30 years. I can wear jeans (or shorts in the summer) to about 99 percent of the social functions I attend.

Luckily I live in a very, very informal part of the country where casual dressing is a way of life. In places I've lived before, no way could I dress the way I have for the last 30-plus years, especially Virginia, the preppy capital of the world.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You're right. Hate is a strong word.
    I really dislike it.

Anyway, a suit is business formal, which means the tie is part of it. The tie is part of the level of formality.
    I'm not offended by it. I just dislike it.
    And it comes across as very self-consciously hip.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Suits don't serve any purpose other than maintaining a certain level of formality.
    If the tie is not indicated, neither is the suit.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He is in the feast or famine world where PR and politics collide. He's in feast mode now. He was between jobs when he went to Asia. And when he came back, it took longer than he expected for the next feast. However, the thing about the Hong Kong suits is that it isn't that expensive. Compared to a US tailor, it's a bargain. I will never employ a tailor in my life, but I looked it up when Josh did and he's right.

Draft saved Draft deleted