1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-area team complaints: How do you respond?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheHacker, Apr 2, 2011.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

The Legends Football League (formerly Lingerie Football League) has to get players from somewhere.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The "You cost my daughter a spot in the Lingerie Football League" calls would be fun.

Old Time Hockey and HanSenSE like this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'm guessing providing padding for players has a different meaning in this league.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

When it was the Lingerie League, Gilbert Brown was one of the coaches. Haven't seen it since the name change. But the couple games I watched, pretty sure were on espn2 or 3.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

There has to be a way to get it on ESPN 6. Just for this forum.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Whenever someone jokingly suggests that coaches should wear the same uniforms as the players, that right there is the ultimate rebuttal.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I had to google this and look it up. Looks like it's in several states, saw a 2012 article that said Florida had over 5,000 participants. What's the quality of play like @TGO157?

8. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

I am in Florida, where it is growing quite a bit. There's also quite a few people in my area upset about the addition of flag football instead of lacrosse at the local schools (the gripe being, flag football doesn't equal college scholarships while lacrosse does). Lacrosse is coming, but starting flag football first was a head-scratcher. I wrote about it and whatnot, but it's still a relevant question.

The quality is ... interesting. Generally, the good teams have three or four legitimate athletes and the coaches just know where to use them (i.e., QB, pass rusher and safety). You can win with stick figures if you have athletes at those three spots. It's no fun watching some of these pass plays where two girls sort of flail their arms at the ball.

Some schools do a good job getting the best athletes from the fall and winter sports out. Some schools don't, and they struggle. When two good teams play, it's usually a 12-6, 7-6, 6-0 type game involving a lot of tedious drives and red zone turnovers.

It's not fun to cover. Fan support started out fine, initially, but has really diminished from Year 2 to Year 3.

9. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

How do you format an honor roll list for track or golf? This is something new I'm looking at adding. Is it just like doing agate? Do I limit to section/state meets? Do I only list a player's best score, or list any time they're above the cut-off?

Also, how big is too big of a list for a 10 to 12-team area?

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Where I worked, we had 8 schools and 6 spots. We put as many kids on the team as there would be on an actual team.

11. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Thanks!

Our shop has always done baseball and softball all-area teams, but last year we changed the baseball/softball player of the year to male/female spring athlete of the year. Even with the change we didn't run honor rolls for track/golf, which I thought was strange.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you decide to do it, it would make it easier to keep track during the season and keep a running list.

I would list best overall effort for an honor roll.

Draft saved Draft deleted