1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vlad Guerrero: HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, May 12, 2016.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Correction, he should be a shoo-in, but will probably not be. Was never dogged by the steroids suspicions rife in that era, and that's going to count for something in separating him from Bagwell and the like. From 2000-2008, he finished in the top 6 in MVP voting five times, winning once and earning three top 3 finishes. Definitely among the handful of best players of his era.

2. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Probably second or third year. Vlad was a professional hitter who was muchly feared. And, as someone said, one of the great nicknames ever.

3. CD Boogie

Also largely forgotten is that he was pretty damn fast in heyday. Almost had a 40-40 season in 2002, finishing with 39 dingers and 40 steals. But, yeah, he also led the league in caught stealing (20) that year. Just otherworldly talent that was often undisciplined, including airmailing throws from right field on a regular basis, especially early in his career in Montreal.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets in on his first try. It is a giant depends. I can make a great case for him, and think he does get in, if not the first try then soon after. But there were some negatives, too. ... namely that he had a knack for making bad base running errors at inopportune times and he was particularly boneheaded in some big playoff games.

But you can't overlook that he was a dominant player for an incredibly long period. You always had him listed with the best players in the game. Great all around player. I don't think he was as bad a right fielder as his rap, but it's clear that he will get in mostly on being a ridiculous hitter.

5. CD Boogie

upload_2016-5-13_12-7-35.png

Three first-year guys are worthy of Cooperstown on the 2017 ballot, and IRod and Manny will have their PED detractors but Guerrero won't. Bagwell, Raines, Hoffman and Guerrero, that'd be the class I predict given the percentages posted by that trio of returning candidates in 2016.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

There's no way they vote it four. Be happy that they somehow put in two of those holdovers

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

His numbers soared when he brought his mom and siblings to live with him in Anaheim Hills. His mom made food for the whole clubhouse once she found a place in L.A. where she could buy a live goat.

Double Down likes this.
  8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

He could be the first Angel in the Hall, depending which cap he chooses.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm a lifelong Angels fan and loved Vlad Guerrero, so I'm nowhere close to objective here. I'd certainly vote for him.

Vlad had the most amazing hit I've ever seen in person: Cactus League against the A's, he got a pitch that was close to a foot outside and nearly in the dirt.... and he pulled it for a home run. Freakish ability.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

He once got a base hit off a pitch that bounced, too.

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Players don't choose their hats anymore.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Only 10 players with .300+ BA, 400+ HR have been eligible for HOF votes. All 10 have made it. Pujols, M Cabrera are still playing. Vlad, Manny Ramirez, Chipper Jones are retired but not yet eligible.
    So, yes in my book.

Draft saved Draft deleted