1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Times buys Tampa Trib

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BDC99, May 3, 2016.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Maybe you were meant for a different type of writing, one that takes more reflection and incubation.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

No clue what CD's point is, but I would bet good money that there were FAR more talented Florida grads who have passed through the Tribune than the Times. I can think of about a dozen off the top of my head. I'm no expert on the Times, but I can think of only a handful of folks I've met from there who were in-state college grads.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Did the hockey writer make it back to Florida?

4. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Yes, he was able to catch a flight back home, with assistance from his new corporate overlords.

5. reformedhack

I'd tend to agree. For a while, particularly during the 1980s and early '90s, the Times had a fetish about NOT hiring Florida grads, opting instead for Ivy Leaguers and places such as Northwestern and Missouri. Someone I worked with at the UF school paper did land a job right out of school with the Times — because he had family in St. Petersburg and had interned there for several summers — and it was regarded as another Lourdes Miracle.

6. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Sports copy desk had a lot of Gators, just not immediately out of school. Still have a couple.
    There were a lot of IU grads, especially among managers. Makes sense. Tash is an IU grad. Neil went to Iowa. Shepherd went to Ohio State, I think. Acting SE went to Indiana. Couple of the ME types are from Northwestern, Indiana. Lot of Big Ten.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We went on a Ball State hiring spree in Fort Lauderdale for design people in the early 2000s.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

So what was the story behind not doing a final issue? If they decided they needed to shutter the Trib as soon as possible, then that's what it is and it was probably a depressingly inevitable end to a paper that was MG's financial scapegoat for so many years (I remember higher-ups complaining about the "Tampa drain" when I was MG in 2004 and again in 2005-07). But the costs of one final "happy trails to you, dear readers" issue couldn't have been that high when applying a 50,000-foot view. And for whatever was wrong with the Trib at the end, they still had loyal readers who deserved more print notice than having a Tampa Bay Times land on their doorstep with no pretext. If anything, a final issue would seem to be a moneymaker because people love anything that hints at collectable value.

Why no final issue? Was there a legal issue? A thought that having a lame-duck issue would do more harm than good? A simple, petty "fuck you" to the competition?

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yep. My wife and I both worked at the Times and both went to IU. Can think of several other Hoosiers. Wife's last editor in the bureaus went to Northwestern.

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Thank u for the information.

11. reformedhack

Just got word that the Times has hired former Tribune sports columnist Martin Fennelly. An email went to staffers earlier today.

A good — and logical — hire, if you ask me.

I'm aware of only two other hires, both from news: the military affairs reporter who absolutely kicked the Times' ass on coverage of MacDill Air Force Base (home of Central Command), and a general assignment reporter who covered Ybor City and Tampa's heritage.

I expect we might hear about others over the weekend. The Times is producing a special section about the Tribune's legacy, and it's possible they'll announce that "some of your favorite reporters are joining us!" or somesuch happy-happy spin. (I do know I'm quoted in one of the stories. It's always odd whenever I'm quoted in print, at least to me, but not nearly as weird as being quoted by the newspaper that was once the mortal enemy.)

Bamadog likes this.
  12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I saw it as implied but you didn't mention Cuba. That will be an important beat going forward. And I will say that the guilt those folks making that move are feeling, while unnecessary, is real.

reformedhack likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted