1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cool science stuff

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Buck, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Frankly I'm surprised it took that long for somebody to figure it out. There had to be a scientific explanation. "It's magic" won't get you far.

The challenge will be to scale it up and make it work.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It really didn't take that long. If it's real, this is revolutionary technology that was only designed 15 years ago.
    Since 2001, we've potentially gone from concept and design that could not work based on current understanding, to controlled experimental results, through reproducing those results, to an underlying explanation of why it works.

I'm just blown away by this. Although skeptics remain, this is starting to seem more and more real.
    Just amazing.

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Utterly fascinating to think of the possibilities this could open up.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Roger Shawyer, a year ago:

Shawyer said the situation has changed from the scepticism he received in 2006. Today, many scientists are now thinking of new ways to use EmDrive to solve global issues that would never have been possible before.

[​IMG]
    If it was cheap to launch satellites into space, we could harness solar power
    for Earth and even use satellites as shields from the sun against global warming

"We will go to Mars, but the most important thing is what EmDrive will do for the rest of the world. It will be solar power stations, city-to-city long-haul flights using hydrogen. It's green and convenient and will change our world in the next few decades," he said.

"We've got solutions to the global energy crisis, climate change and green technology all thrown into one.

"Think what orbital sunshades, easily put into place and controlled, will do for climate change. Think about a city sweltering in the hot sun, and think about a council buying an orbital sunshade and launching it into orbit, all completely controllable and easy to put up."

Nasa validates EmDrive: Roger Shawyer says aerospace industry needs to watch out

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

When I hear something about altering the weather, I think back to this old margarine commercial:

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

What the fuck is it with Brits and this spelling out acronyms as proper nouns shit. It's not Nasa, it's NASA.
    It's not a difference of opinion or a preference, it's just fucking WRONG. Spelling out acronyms as proper nouns is inaccurate, imprecise, misleading and disconcerting to the reader. Learn to speak fucking English. It's not Nasa, it's NASA. Get it fucking right.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I agree, it's Fubar.

TigerVols likes this.
  8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Those damn English!

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's pretty freakin' awesome. GoPro does an excellent job of marketing. I have absolutely no reason to get one - I own a high-quality DSLR, some amazing lenses and a drone, and I don't participate in any action sports during which I would strap a GoPro to my body - yet, I totally want one. And I have several other friends who are the same way. It's just got a cool factor that's hard to create.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

GoPro can do high frame rates - 240 fps. Maybe even 960 (have to check specs a little closer). Anyway, they are a relatively cheap way to do some excellent high speed recording and slow mo playback. Only drawback I have heard is the units warm up considerably when running at high frame rate and kill the battery quickly.

Draft saved Draft deleted