1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The Giants need to get Jake Peavy out of the rotation. He stinks.
    When is the last time one of their pitcher-free-agent signings or rental-resignings worked out for them?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Vogelsong was an All-Star and won World Series games. Hudson was pretty good his first year.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This might not count, but trading Scott Medvin and Jeff Robinson for fat, 38-year-old Rick Reuschel back in '87 turned out OK. They don't get to the '89 World Series without him.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Nats-Cubs series ought to be a good one.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Jason Schmidt worked out as well.

Agree that Peavy is getting to be a hard watch; his downturn is coinciding with Lincecum's "Showcase" but hard to think that it fits that well. I'd love to see Timmy back in uniform with his rebirth as a "pitcher" and not a "thrower" (hello Frank Tanana) but really find that hard to believe.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I was going to post something on Rick Reuschel last night when I saw Medlen threw 68 pitches in 2 innings.

Watched a game, I think it was '87, when Reuschel blanked the Dodgers on 88 pitches.

I think this is the game but there is no pitch total: July 3, 1987 Los Angeles Dodgers at Pittsburgh Pirates Box Score and Play by Play | Baseball-Reference.com

Screen shot 2016-05-05 at 3.51.16 PM.png

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

They took a flyer on Vogelsong.
    Reuschel made his comeback with the Pirates.
    I agree with Chris Russo- if they get anything out of Cueto, Cain -or- Peavy they will be OK.
    But it is hard not to think of all three as sunk costs. Cueto will soon be as fat as Rick Reuschel was.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Looking at that box ... Ralph Bryant for the Dodgers.

Not a day went by from when I was, oh, 7 till at least 21, where I didn't read the Dodgers boxscores religiously, and either watched 'em on TV or listened on the radio.

For the life of me, I cannot remember Ralph Bryant.

Screen shot 2016-05-05 at 3.56.41 PM.png

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Cueto has been great so far. He gave up a five-run inning and a six-run inning -- strangely enough, the Giants came back to win both of those games -- but in his other 40 IP he has a 1.34 ERA. Definitely doesn't fit in the same category as Peavy and Cain.

Your question is kind of loaded because Cueto and Samardzija mark the first time they have spent in the FA pitching market since Zito in 2007. That's the luxury of winning championships with homegrown starters.

10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Samardajadadaseasjzkai and Cueto have a chance to be pretty good for them. Peavy might--MIGHT--have one more slop-throwing run in him, but he is done. It's amazing he made it this long. Dude looks like he might be 5-foot-9 out of uniform and I have no idea how his shoulder doesn't fall off with that motion, but he is one tough, competitive sonofabitch. I remember watching him carry a no-hitter into the seventh inning against the Mets a few years ago. He smelled that sucker from like the third inning on and was leaping off the mound for any ball in his general direction.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Cain seems to be improving, but as seems to be a San Francisco tradition up there with cable cars and garlic fries, is lacking run support. Peavy is toast. And Lincecum is an unknown until he gets into game situations.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted